[X2go-User] Antw: Re: Usability with latency ~200ms

Stefan.Klingner at brodos.de Stefan.Klingner at brodos.de
Mon Nov 14 13:14:02 CET 2011

Hi John,

thanks for your answer.

Could you please provide some sources for

"and any tweaks one can make to the IP stack or the SSH protocol. "

?

Regards,

Stefan

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 14:21 +0100, Stefan.Klingner at brodos.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are trying to use X2Go to provide a devolpment environment for our
> employees in India. The problem is that the connection to India is
> really bad (latency ~200ms) and so working with X2Go is currently not
> possible.
>
> Is there a way to improve the performance on the X2Go client/server
> configuration? Does anybody have experience with such a szenario?
>
> Please help.
<snip>
The first thought is the usual WAN improvements such as WAN accelerators
and any tweaks one can make to the IP stack or the SSH protocol.  Also
try to use hard wired connections on the client side rather than
wireless.  We have seen a tangible difference on the same Internet
connection between the two.

However, I am beginning to wonder if something important has changed.
Our experience with the older 3.0.1 series clients was that they were
adequate with 200ms latency and packet loss up to 4-5%.  We are still
running the older server but have started using the newer client.  I'm
currently using the version in the heuler repository.  I've noticed
different and troubling behavior which I am guessing is a result of the
switch to libssh.

My Internet connection has been a little less stable than usual lately
and I've started to notice really problematic behavior.  I do not know
why but, if we start experiencing moderate packet loss or latency, the
behavior is almost as if nagle is enabled.  We'll type a series of key
strokes and they will all type but the last one.  Two seconds later, the
last key appears - makes editing documents a dangerous nightmare as the
cursor is usually one character off from where one thinks it is.  We
also see major screen painting delays - clicking on some action and we
know the server has responded instantly but the old screen just sits
there for two or three seconds and then suddenly changes.

We've not had the time to track it down and I'm guessing it will be a
bear to find but something has definitely changed in the newer client
code and not for the better - John