[X2go-user] Ist X2Go eine ernsthafte Lösung oder Bananensoftware?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon May 16 20:36:06 CEST 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 21:28 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
<snip>
> TRANSLATED: Therefore my really seriously meant question is this: is
> there any project that uses X2go productively.
>
> Mike: I personally use X2go productively as a system administrator. In
> all networks I administrate there is one desktop workstation that runs
> x2goserver. I use GNOME or LXDE to access the network components from
> this X2go server. I install x2goserver from the new squeeze repos and
> everything works out of the box (sqlite). As clients I use x2gocleint
>
> I also work for a company in the Netherlands that uses X2go for
> full-featured SaaS. They sell the usage of a very special application
> to offices by providing these apps via X2go. For this company (and for
> the rest of the world) I have recently contributed another client
> called PyHoca-GUI.

<snip>
We are using it heavily in production.  In fact, it is a core component
of our business of providing complete, cloud based offices to
micro-businesses and charities.

There are some shortcomings due to the fact that it is a young project
with a dearth of programming resources.  However, the beauty of open
source is that we've been able to adapt those parts that did not work
well in our environment and contribute them back, e.g., integrating with
VServer for very dense 1:1 environments.

The biggest problem for us right now is the Windows client.  The current
production client has some crippling bugs due to its reliance upon
Xming.  The latest client, 3.0.1-18 can use vcxsrv and works beautifully
- faster, more features, but has introduced a new, critical printing
issue.  We earnestly hope that will be fixed and there will be a new
Windows client release shortly.

We have made limited use of the Mac client with no problems and we make
regular use of the Linux client with nary a glitch.

As you mentioned, there are pitifully few alternatives to X2Go but I see
good things for X2Go as we work through our growing pains.  The
community is largely cooperative; the architecture is very open, and the
project seems to be gaining traction.  Hope that helps - John