[X2go-user] Manual Install of x2go on SLES11 running on system Z

Harris, Donald HarrisDon at wsdot.wa.gov
Wed Mar 2 12:36:56 CET 2011

Howdy all,

So I would love to be able to use x2go on my sles11 boxes that are
running on my mainframe, but I have found NO good info about how to
install it, let alone configure it and get it to run.  I have downloaded
what appears to be some "source code", but within the .tar ball there is
no install instructions, just a bunch of scripts.  Then when I got and
look online using google looking for help, again there is NO
documentation describing how to install x2go manually, only from using a
.deb.

Well, I don't have nor will I ever use .deb for my enterprise
environment, so how in the world do you install x2go using the "source"
code that I downloaded from your website?  Is there any documentation
that say what these commands do?  How does x2go connect and talk with
the DB, the client?  Is there a service I must run on the server in
order to connect to it?  What about the gnomebindings?  Are those
available to only .deb users?  Can I install those without using .deb?
Do I need them?  Is there any documentation that does not include using
.debs?  What about man pages?  Do they exist?  All I want is some
install instructions to follow, or at least some pointers in the correct
direction...  Linux is not new to me in any way, I just have no idea how
x2go works and functions as a whole and I can't find anything that is
useful to help answer these questions.

I really wish there was some sort of documentation that describes how to
do this simple procedure.  I don't understand why a small file wasn't
included in the "source" that tells me how to do this as there is with
EVERY OTHER "source" that I have ever downloaded, or if it's not
included with the source you can use the normal, ./configure, make, make
install, and get it up and running.  This is the first time I have ever
had trouble installing something from supposed "source", so I am a
little bit frustrated at the total lack of documentation and info that
is available on actually installing the product if you can't, nor want
to run a distro that supports/uses .debs.  Ubuntu and Debian are not
support under system z (which is what I am running), so therefore I
can't use them even if I wanted to.  RHEL6 and SLES11 are my only
options if I want support, which my organization requires me to have if
I am going to be running anything in a production environment, which is
the plan.

What I have done in the meantime is follow some "install" instructions
that were included in the older version of x2goserver (3.0.1), but that
doesn't seem right.  I have even installed and configured postgresql
(there were absolutely no instructions on using the x2goserver-one
source, so I had to go with just x2goserver and install postgresql which
is completely unnecessary but I had no other choice considering the lack
of info available), but when I try to connect to my server using the
x2goclient, I get "authentication denied continue using keyboard
interactive" or something like that, and then x2goclient crashes and I
am not logged into my server, and there are no message logs on the
server, nor any error logs, and there is nothing on the windows computer
to help me out either.  So I have no idea what is or is not working
correctly.

I know ssh works, and x11 forwarding works because I have some scripts I
created to connect and forward the x sessions, and they work just fine.
I really want to be able to use x2go instead of my own scripts because
of the sessions resume and cool things like that.  But I do know that x
and ssh work, I just can't connect using x2go.

So at this point I am really disappointed in x2go as I have spent a good
4 hours now trying to just install this product, and I haven't even
started to try to configure it.  Honestly I will give it a little bit
more time, after that I must move on to something else that actually has
some documentation so I can figure this stuff out on my own since I
don't have time to be wasting on just trying to install a product.  I
don't want to come across as an ass here, I am just frustrated with
spinning my wheels on something that should be really straight forward.
X2go looks like would be perfect for what I need, I just hope I can get
it installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,

Donald Harris