[X2go-User] Fairly severe problems for our Windows users

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed Jul 20 20:00:15 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 15:19 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mi 20 Jul 2011 15:13:40 CEST "John A. Sullivan III" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 10:39 +0200, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> >> Hi John,

> >> I cannot say much about the native x2goclient, but if there are any
> >> problems with PyHoca-GUI we surely will be able to sort them out.
> >>
> >> If you are interested in that, you could give a more detailed error
> >> description (and maybe a screen shot?).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Mike
> >>

> > Sure.  I haven't taken a lot of time to troubleshoot it.  When I try to
> > connect, Pyhoca says I have authenticated but nothing happens.  I first
> > suspected it might not be starting the X server since I unchecked vcxsrv
> > during the bundle installation routine because I had already installed
> > it (default location).  However, I then noticed errors in the logs on
> > the X2Go server that authentication had failed.  So Pyhoca thinks I have
> > authenticated whereas the server does not - John
>
> Note, that PyHoca-GUI does not start a session immediately.
> Authentication is one thing. Starting a session is another thing...
>
> Once you have authenticated against a session profile, this session
> profile appears in the left-click main menu and contains submenus.
> There you can find ,,Start session''. Use that menu item to start the
> actual session.
>
> I am not sure about your server-side log files, though. But maybe the
> issues is sorted once you have used the described menu item?!?
>
> Also make sure you use the latest version...
>
> Bundles...
> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/pyhoca-gui/bundled/pyhoca-gui+vcxsrv+gsprint-0.1.0.7rc1_win32-setup.exe
>
> Or standalone...
> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/pyhoca-gui/pure/pyhoca-gui_0.1.0.7rc1_win32-setup.exe
>
> Thanks+Greets,
> Mike

Ah, got it.  I like that approach and much that I saw in Pyhoca -
including still being able to open multiple sessions.  The application
itself seemed much, much slower but I suppose that is the difference
between Python and C++.

To deal with the primary thread subject, I was at first hopeful that the
screen painting pause was solved as I was able to work for quite a while
without the problem appearing but, eventually it did.  So all platforms
I've tested so far have this crippling problem.

I did notice a few strange things about Pyhoca itself. I also hit the 17
bit pixel depth problem.

Response time to the one local LAN server I have was abysmal - utterly
unusable and much slower than the WAN based servers.  It was literally
click and wait ten to twenty seconds.  I thought this might be because
of full screen versus windowed but changing that did not help.  I then
thought it might be because I had set the connection to LAN.  I tried
setting it to DSL but then hit my next problem.

Suddenly, all the images became completely corrupt.  I tried reverting
to the regulat 3.0.1.18 X2Go client but it also displayed all images as
completely corrupt.  They are not when connecting from my Linux based
X2Go Client.  I still have not fixed this problem on Windows.  Here is
the long list of things I tried.

Rebooting my physical computer rather than simply closing Pyhoca and
opening X2Goclient.

Clearing all the session information on the client.
Clearing all the session information on the server.
Deleting the 17 bit cache directory on the client.
Deleting all cache directories on the client.
Rebooting the server.
Clearing all the cache directories on the server and rebooting.
Uninstalling Pyhoca (after which X2Go client complained it could not
start the X server)
Uninstalling and reinstalling vcxsrv.
Uninstalling and reinstalling x2goclient 3.0.1.18

None of those solved the image corruption problem; I am currently unable
to use X2goclient in Windows.

I also noticed that Pyhoca only had jpeg packing.  We have found the
16m-png-jpeg packing has generally given us substantially better
performance and clarity.

Thanks - John