[X2go-user] Hooking Up To A Running X-Session

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Apr 12 20:56:12 CEST 2011

Hi Axel,

On Di 12 Apr 2011 19:23:48 CEST Axel Klein wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> My usecases are:
>
> 1) I am working on computer A. Then I change room and want to
> continue working from computer B on the desktop of computer A. So
> that would be your case (a).

Currently, it is not possible to start X2go sessions on localhost. So
your usecase 1) could be:

You sit at computer A and start an X2go session on server S. Then you
suspend your session and start and resume the same X2go session on
computer B. This is X2go default functionality.

In the process of starting a session, suspending it, resuming it from
another PC - do you have any difficulty with any of these?

Note again: sitting at computer A and starting an X2go session on
computer A is currently not possible.

> 2) I am working on computer A. I want to show some results on my
> screen to my colleague in the U.S. or in the next cubical, in any
> case in the same network. I think that would be exactly your case (b).
>
> Summarized you described exactly my usecases.
> Now the interesting question: How can I do that?
> Did I overlook something in the Wiki or is there another documentation?

The second usecase is more tricky than the first. X2go shadow session
(that's what the guest user sessions are called) have only been
implemented quite recently. They are not available in the lenny
repositories. Use these two (both!) line in /etc/apt/sources.list (on
server and linux clients):

deb http://x2go.obviously-nice.de/deb lenny main
deb http://x2go.obviously-nice.de/deb heuler main

On the server you currently have to install (this will change in the
near future):

Debian:
apt-get install x2goserver-one x2godesktopsharing x2gognomebindings
x2goplasmoid

Ubuntu:
apt-get install x2goserver-home x2godesktopsharing x2gognomebindings
x2goplasmoid

On the client you simply need the x2goclient package:

apt-get install x2goclient

YOU:
----
On the server you have to start the x2godesktopsharing util that will
dock to your systray panel. Make sure you allow other to knock on your
door.

YOUR GUEST:
-----------
The guest user first of all needs an SSH account on the X2go server.
Hope, this is not a hurdle. The guest user then has to start a
shared/shadow session from his local x2goclient app. The session name
for this in the session profile preference is:

   ,,Connect to local desktop''
   ,,Zugriff auf lokalen Desktop'' in Deutsch

So, instead of using GNOME or KDE your guest user has to use either of
the above with the hostname, port, username etc. of your X2go server.

If the guest user then starts a session, he/she will knock on your
x2godesktopsharing icon virtual door and you can decide to let him/her
in or not.

Greets & good luck,
Mike

PS: as an exchange of time and energy you could test the described
above, fix bits and pieces and then post it back to the list so that
we can set up a Wiki page for x2godesktopsharing... :-)

mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen
fon: +49 (4302) 281418, fax: +49 (4302) 281419

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B