[X2go-user] Fwd: Hooking Up To A Running X-Session

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Apr 11 13:35:24 CEST 2011

Hi Axel,

On Sa 09 Apr 2011 17:23:13 CEST Axel Klein wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> I have a simple question that I didn't get answered reading the
> documentation:
>
> Is it possible to hook up to an existing X-Session (Desktop) with X2go?
> And if yes, how to do so?
>
> Having tried X2go, I get always a "new" desktop when I logon with the
> client to the machine on which the server is installed.
> Sorry for asking this question if this is written in the documentation.
> I did not find it.

with X2go you cannot hijack local sessions (e.g. after login via kdm/gdm).

What you can do is start an x2go session on your server, suspend this
session and resume it again (from some other client).

If you cannot find menu items for suspending sessions, you can open a
shell and run the following commands:

   x2golistsessions -> will show your current sessions on that server

The x2golistsessions command gives you the session id. It should look
like ,,mike-59-1302521405_stDGNOME_dp24'', it is the second field in
each line reported by x2golistsessions.

With the session id you can suspend your session:

   x2gosuspend-session mike-59-1302521405_stDGNOME_dp24

If you then login to the server again then you should be able to
resume this session (Fortsetzen/fortfahren in German, not sure which
one is used).

Of course, this scripting stuff is a little awkward. If you install
the package x2gognomebindings (for GNOME) or x2goplasmoid (for KDE4)
there should be a menu item that allows to suspend a session. With
x2goplasmoid I have seen situations that this does not work reliably,
but with GNOME there will definitely be a menu item in ,,System'' menu.

Hope that helps,

mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen
fon: +49 (4302) 281418, fax: +49 (4302) 281419

GnuPG Key ID 0xB588399B