[X2go-user] Starting multiple sessions

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Oct 19 17:52:54 CEST 2010

John Williams schreef:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> wrote:
>
>> What I do normally, is to log-out the user in the session. Then the
>> session terminates.
>
> Thank you for that tip! I did not know that, but I just tried it and
> it works for me, too!
>
> So, now I know that I can terminate a session by "Log Out..." from
> within the session. And I can suspend a session by clicking on the "X"
> of the X2S window.
>
> Now if only the list of suspended and running sessions (the list that
> pops up when you try to start a session on a server that already has
> sessions) would include the session name, I would be able to manage
> all my sessions efficiently.

I agree. But isn't this the same as in Nomachine NX client?

>> I give the session the same name as the server where I connect to.
>
> That is less useful for me since I have multiple sessions on the same
> server. Usually I name the sessions with the server name and then a
> number or suffix to identify the purpose of the session.
>
>> Do you make many connections to the same server?  Why?
>
> Yes, at the moment I have 5 sessions on my main server. I have several
> computers in the house, and generally each computer has at least 1
> session running or suspended on the server. Sometimes I have two or
> more client sessions running on the same client computer, since I
> sometimes use sessions for a certain task or application. That way I
> can resume the session from another computer without disturbing the
> other task(s) that are running on the client computer that was running
> the session before I switched the session to another computer. Whew,
> that was a mouthful. But hopefully you get the idea.

I understand it a bit.

I agree, it would be nice if it would be easier to give a session a nice
name, not some complex ID.

But I think when you have only one suspended session as a user, you
don't get any question, the session just starts.

And if you have more then one session as a user, you can easy get
problems. E.g. if you start Iceweasel/Firefox it will kill the
Iceweasel/Firefox in another session.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--