[X2go-user] Starting multiple sessions

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Tue Oct 19 17:03:30 CEST 2010

John Williams schreef:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Paul van der Vlis <paul at vandervlis.nl> wrote:
>
>> I would say: Close the session before you close X2goclient. Don't
>> terminate a X2go client with status "running".
>
> I may not have been clear in my previous message. Let me define some
> terms so that we can be sure we understand each other:
>
> x2go-client (X2C): this is the program and window that first gives you
> a choice of starting an x2go session, and once a session is started,
> it gives the options of "share folder...", "suspend", or "terminate".
>
> x2go-session (X2S) window: this is the window that displays the remote
> session running on the x2go server. The only options are the standard
> window options, like "X", "_", and full-screen.

I don't think I understand you wrong.

> So, if I close the X2S window by clicking "X", then the session gets
> suspended.

Hmm, you are right. Clicking the X does suspend the session.

> But the only way I see to then terminate the session is to
> click "cancel" in the X2C window, and then click to start a new
> session, and then X2C gives me a list of running and suspended
> sessions, but it only tells me the display number, the status, and the
> command of each session. That is even less information than when the
> session is running! So I do not want to terminate it from that list,
> since I may make a mistake!

What I do normally, is to log-out the user in the session. Then the
session terminates.

>> You can see the server and the username when there is a connection.
>> And a SessionID. And a CreationTime.
>
> Yes, the X2C window displays Session ID, Server, Username, Display,
> Creation Time, and Status.
>
> But it does not display the session name! That is the name that you
> create yourself. You type it in at the top when you create a session
> profile. I think it is useful to have when keeping track of multiple
> sessions, since I try to define several different session names to
> help me keep track.

I give the session the same name as the server where I connect to.

> This is a habit I developed when using the NX client, since it does
> display the session names in the list of suspended sessions. In fact,
> with NX client if your server only has 1 suspended session with the
> session name that you try to start from the client, then the client
> will automatically resume that session on the server without the user
> even having to choose from a list of suspended sessions. That is a
> useful feature.
>
>> X2go just closes the session.
>
> There are two ways to close the session: suspending it, in which case
> the session keeps running, but without displaying a window on the
> client (and you can later resume it on any other client machine), or
> terminating it, in which case the session is no longer running, and
> cannot be resumed.
>
> If you just click on "X" in the X2S window, then x2go suspends the
> session. I determined that just by trying it to see. If you want to
> terminate a session, you have to specifically click on the "terminate"
> button in the X2C window.

No, you can also do it in the session by logging out the user.

>> I also don't know a nice way to suspend a session other then using the
>> client-window. Normally I don't suspend sessions. Maybe somebody else
>> knows a way.
>
> As I mentioned, suspending a session is easy -- just click on the "X"
> on the X2S window. It is terminating a session that is more difficult.

Log out the user.

> I generally have a lot of sessions, both running and suspended, on the
> server, so the kind of issues I am mentioning come up a lot for me.

Do you make many connections to the same server?  Why?

>> I am talking about the Linux client. No idea if there is much
>> difference, because I have never used the Windows client.
>
> I guess there is not much difference, but I thought I would mention it
> just in case.

I think that too.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.