[X2Go-Project] Attention: All X2Go Server Admins! Upcoming major X2Go (Server) Release

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Fri Feb 23 08:20:00 CET 2018

Hi!

We would like to inform you that a new X2Go stable version is about to
be released, most likely around March 1st, 2018.

In fact, the release is already ready - we are actively holding back the
binary package builds at the moment so you have a chance to react.

If you have set all your servers to automatically update to new
releases, we suggest that you disable this mechanism now until you have
verified that the new version works for you.

If, on the other hand, you test and deploy updates manually, no change
is required.  Please test the new X2Go stable version as soon as it
becomes available, so that we have a chance to fix any remaining issues
that slipped through our testing early on.

Should you encounter major problems with the new version, we suggest
switching to the ESR branch, codenamed "saimaa".  This branch will
continue to receive security updates, but is (and will remain) based on
what you currently know as "stable".  Some packages, like cups-x2go,
pinentry-x2go, x2godesktopsharing, x2go*bindings, are not part of saimaa
and thus must be pulled from the regular repository.  This requires
proper setting of repository priorities, so packages existing in the
saimaa repository take priority over packages from the regular
repository.  If you need assistance with this, please make sure you have
disabled automatic updates before doing anything else, then ask for help
either in our IRC channel #x2go on freenode, or on the x2go-user Mailing
List.

However, if you are a daredevil and already want to access binary
packages that pretty much match what we are going to release soon,
temporarily change your X2Go repository entry to the timestamped heuler
repository bearing the timestamp of 2018-02-16, pull the update, then
switch your repository back to stable.  Note that this is a procedure
not recommended for the average user.  Try and use at your own risk.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)