[X2Go-Project] Upcoming Deprecation of EOL Distributions

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Tue Aug 23 16:43:52 CEST 2016

On 21.08.2016 08:54 PM, Robert Dinse wrote:
>       Since Launchpad is taking care of it then why worry about it.

Because I *have* to go through every package and enable new builds - that's not
done automatically. An additional click while I'm on it won't kill me. :)

>       I am having problems with x2go on 16.04.1 LTS that were not a problem
> on 15.10.  When I connect using display 1, x2go locally takes over my whole
> display BUT only draws a tiny window for the remote site in the upper left
> corner.
>
>       If I try to use System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Displays to change
> the resolution to the 1680x1050 of my local screen it says "Could Not Get
> Scren Information, RANDR extension is too old, must be at least 1.3", but
> if I do xrandr -v it tells me randr program version 1.5 but server reports
> randr version 1.2.

Good debugging, that's probably the reason why it shows such behavior. I assume
in 15.10, MATE (or whatever component is responsible of resizing on window size
changes) didn't require RANDR 1.3 yet, but only 1.2, which the current nx-libs
does provide.

If that changed with the packages in 16.04, we're in for trouble. I don't think
it makes sense to backport RANDR 1.3 to nx-libs 3.5, but instead have it on the
agenda for 3.6. X2Go is scheduled to eventually switch to 3.6 anyway and at
least the nightly repository can coexist with both 3.5.0.x and 3.5.99 as
released by Arctica last month.

>       My present work around is to type:
>
>  	xrandr -s 1680x1050
>
>       Every time I login but that is kind of a pain in the arse.

It is.

Try to automate it by creating a startup item in your desktop environment and
running this as a script.

Still a hacky workaround, but you'll save yourself the pain of doing that manually.

Mihai