[X2Go-i18n] English language clean-up of X2Go Client

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 15:49:51 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Stefan Baur
<newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote:
> Am 22.08.2014 um 14:28 schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>
>> 1. The odd English phrase needs to be located in the source code, as
>> well, and has to be changed there, as well.
>
> That should be easy with grep, sed, and diff.
>

>> 2. You will want to commit portions of your work to Git on a separate
>> branch. It case you f...-up on the way, you can reset your work to one
>> of the last committed stages.
>
> I don't have commit rights (I think), and I doubt it would be a good
> idea to grant those to a non-dev like me. ;-) #DONOTWANT
>
> My plan was to change a copy of the files, send you the updated
> translation files (or work directly on fylgia, where you can easily copy
> them), and do the same + diffs for the source code, too (as I believe it
> is more likely that we'll have merge conflicts there due to ongoing dev
> work -> looking at the diff and applying the change manually to the
> current state might be easier than trying to merge).
>
> -Stefan

Stefan,

As we were discussing by IM, you can export a commit as a patch that
you can email. You do not need rights to the code.x2go.org repo.

Based on these instructions:
https://ariejan.net/2009/10/26/how-to-create-and-apply-a-patch-with-git/
Do this:

git clone git://code.x2go.org/x2goclient.git
cd x2goclient
git checkout -b english_translation_fixes (I just made up
"english_translation_fixes" as a branch name)
<Make your changes to the files>
git add <every file you modified>
git diff --cached (This previews your changes)
git commit -m "<Commit Message>"
git format-patch master --stdout > <your patch name>
<Then attach the patch to an email>

The commit is only to a branch on your local repo. Even if you were to
make a commit to the "master" branch on your local repo, you still
wouldn't be able to push your commit to code.x2go.org. And you could
still create a patch for it (git format-patch origin/master --stdout >
<your patch name>). Your branch will not appear on code.x2go.org when
we do import the patch.

-Mike#2