[X2Go-Dev] Topic suggestions for the next X2Go-DevMeeting (early February 2019)

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Thu Nov 15 18:51:24 CET 2018

Am 15.11.18 um 18:41 schrieb Ulrich Sibiller:
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 5:04 PM Stefan Baur <X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de> wrote:
>
>> Given some recent discussions on the lists, I would like to suggest the
>> following topics:
>>
>> - stable release including Uli's BIG-REQUESTS fix
>>   (assuming we have sufficient positive user feedback)
>>   Open Issues, Timeframe/Timeline, Dependencies, ...
>>
>> - once the BIG-REQUESTS patch has been integrated into stable and
>>   BIG-REQUESTS is active again, look into supporting FreeRDP in RDP
>>   proxy mode, rather than only in DIRECT RDP mode.
>>   Easy/Difficult?  GUI changes in X2GoClient?  Additional dependency on
>>   Server? What else?
>
> I am not sure what this is about. Can you please explain?

Currently, in DIRECT RDP mode, X2GoClient merely acts as a GUI frontend
to a local rdesktop or FreeRDP installation - no X2GoServer required at
all.  In this mode, the X2GoClient GUI allows you to choose between
rdesktop, FreeRDP (old parameter format), and FreeRDP (new parameter
format).

However, X2GoServer also has an RDP proxy mode.  X2GoClient tells
X2GoServer it wants to start an RDP session to a MS-Windows host, then
on the X2GoServer box, rdesktop is spawned and connects to the
MS-Windows host.  On the X2GoClient side, a fullscreen RDP session appears.
So X2GoClient talks "X2Go" to the X2GoServer, and X2GoServer talks "RDP"
to the MS-Windows host.
There is currently no built-in way to use FreeRDP instead of rdesktop in
this mode, rather, the use of rdesktop is hard-coded into the
application (you could, of course, specify a single application session,
and create a wrapper script for FreeRDP that passes all the required
parameters, but, ugh, yuck).
FreeRDP is preferable over rdesktop as it supports newer RDP versions,
so it should speed things up.  That's why I'd love to see the option
being added for RDP proxy mode.

>> @everyone_else: Feel free to add your topic suggestions to this thread
>> so they're easy to find.
>
> - add support for sleep configuration to x2goclient

+1.

As usual, a configuration in /etc/x2go/x2goagent.options should override
any client-side configuration, so a rogue user can't bog down a server
that has such a limit intentionally set by its admin.

-Stefan

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur