[X2Go-Dev] Different behavior of X2Go Client from Desktop and TCE

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Fri May 18 11:32:54 CEST 2018

Hi Alex,

I don't want to start a battle either, but I think a side-by-side
comparison would be nice so users know what to expect and thus what they
should pick for their intended use.

Back when I tried to follow the installation instructions, they were for
Wheezy only.  Attempting to run the same installation steps for Jessie
failed (Stretch wasn't released back then), and there were no obvious
error messages pointing me toward what I should fix/change.
Which, to me, is an indication that TCE-NFS has lots of "hackish" parts
that need to be altered with every new major Debian release to make them
work again.

I would also like to know what your minimum hardware requirements for
TCE-NFS are.
Even though TCE-Live has the option to run from a RAM disk, it is by no
means mandatory.  I just booted an i386 stretch build of TCE-Live
(without the "toram" parameter) from USB and it shows approximately 69
MB of RAM used in idle, and 76 MB RAM used with a fullscreen session and
pulseaudio running.  I have to admit that this doesn't seem to be the
whole truth, though - actually reducing the RAM on the machine to 128MB
caused a kernel crash right while booting.  With 256MB of RAM, it boots
up, and runs a session - though it's obviously slow because it can use
almost no RAM as buffer/cache.  But I doubt that would be different with
TCE-NFS ...

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur