[X2Go-Dev] Different behavior of X2Go Client from Desktop and TCE

Walid MOGHRABI w.moghrabi at servicemagic.eu
Fri May 18 10:13:48 CEST 2018

> I am getting more an more confused about the TCE stuff. Is there a
> difference between TCE you are talking about and the x2gothinclient
> Alex is working on?

Let me clarify then :

TCE is just a micro Linux starting X2Goclient with the --thinclient option in fullscreen (mostly).

There are some other implementations such as "mini desktop" which, to me, is not a "real" Thin Client since you just start a smaller Linux distro with a few local apps (such as web browser) and the X2Go client installed as a local app but I'm not talking about this since this is just x2goclient in local desktop mode.

By default, the x2gothinclient-displaymanager package built by Alex don't have any WM dependencies and thus, if you do a very lightweight TCE setup (aka debootstrap Debian/Ubuntu and install x2gothinclient-displaymanager package), it will only install minimal dependencies such as Xorg libs, x2goclient and a buch of scripts to start it at boot time but no WM.
Since there is no WM, xinerama is not working properly and everything is OK with this setup unless you have a dual head (or more) display and in this case, your multiple monitors are used but x2goagent only see ONE huge display that stretches over your screens and not a proper multihead display with multiple monitors the way you have when using a local desktop.

Simply spawning a minimalistic WM such as OpenBox before starting X2Goclient fixes this issue.

Regards,
Walid Moghrabi

TRAVAUX.COM
BAT I - PARC CEZANNE 2 290 AVENUE GALILEE - CS 80403
13591 AIX EN PROVENCE CEDEX 3