[X2Go-Dev] Different behavior of X2Go Client from Desktop and TCE

Stefan Baur X2Go-ML-1 at baur-itcs.de
Thu May 17 13:52:19 CEST 2018

Am 17.05.2018 um 13:02 schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> Same issue here with pyhoca-cli and Arctica Greeter's remote logon feature.
>
> I'll read the full scope of this mail thread and join in tomorrow...

TL;DR:
No local Window Manager equals no working XINERAMA.

TCE-NFS has none, so fails.

TCE-Live comes with one (OpenBox), so works when OpenBox is running.

If you enable the magicpixel-workaround in TCE-Live, OpenBox will be
killed once the NX-Window opens (because without a Window Manager, the
magicpixel's minimize request is ignored).  This is sometimes too soon
for XINERAMA, it seems, that's why XINERAMA will occasionally fail on
TCE-Live.

The solution is probably to disable MP on the Server and disable the
workaround, to keep OpenBox running all the time.
$SOON, it will be possible to disable MP on the client side, so no
server-side actions will be needed.

Having OpenBox (or any other WM) active brings additional advantages,
like window decoration and text field focus for X2GoClient's interactive
popups, so I strongly suggest going the "we need a WM" way, rather than
trying to "fix" this somewhere else in the code, with possible new side
effects.

-Stefan

--
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)