[X2Go-Dev] Fullscreen on multiple monitors

Rob Janssen R.Janssen at uw.nl
Wed Jan 24 14:11:25 CET 2018

I am using a setup where on a Windows PC I have the usual Windows interface on the left
screen, and on the right screen I want fullscreen X2Go client.  This has worked OK in the past
on a Windows Vista PC with an X2Go version from 2014.
For obvious reasons the PC has since been replaced and I have installed more recent X2Go software
and from then on it fails to work like it did before.
I have selected to use full screen on monitor 2 in the past, and it used the full display area,
although it always started in a somewhat erratic way.  It first opened a window on the
second screen, then told the Linux system the display size had changed, then immediately
changed it to full screen and sent another display size update.  This sometimes confused the
Linux window manager, resulting in funny window placement, but otherwise it worked OK.

On the new system, first with Windows 7 and now with Windows 8, and with X2Go version
4.0.5.0 at first and now 4.1.0.0, I cannot get it to work anymore.  No matter if I select the
full screen mode or not, it always opens the Linux screen in a window, and on the left screen.
I have to drag it to the right, and then click the "full screen window" widget, it then changes
to nearly-full-screen (there are no window borders but there is a title bar with the usual widgets).

I have experimented with the -multiwindows and -multimonitors flags as suggested in a bug
tracking item, but without the desired result.  I also experienced another bug while trying
this: when the settings for the X server are invalid, the program bombs out with an alert
that the settings are invalid and I need to check my configuration, but then it is no longer
possible to change the configuration because the program won't stay running.  Fortunately
I had an image backup of the system made just before I started that experiment.

Please advise what to do next...

Rob