[X2Go-Dev] session files in /tmp

yk+bug+x2go at 64.re yk+bug+x2go at 64.re
Mon Feb 19 15:09:53 CET 2018

On Linux, the X2Go server stores the session files in /tmp/.x2go-* .
Now, whenever a coworker leaves for vacation, those files are not
getting updated and thus get deleted by tmpwatch on CentOS 6 or
systemd-tmpfiles on CentOS 7; when the coworker comes back and tries to
resume the session, it goes into failed mode since those files are
gone, with no possibility of recovery.
The current workaround that I set up is to exclude /tmp/.x2go-* from
clean-up (e.g.[1]), but to prevent having to do it on every machine to
which we want to connect, it would be nice to move the folder to a
place that is not cleaned (at least as often). Although the Linux
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) has been widely disputed, it seems
to be an admitted convention to put PID/lock/socket files and the like
in /run (or /var/run). Is there a specific reason why those files are
in /tmp and not in /var?

[1] On CentOS 7 for systemd-tmpfiles:
# cat /etc/tmpfiles.d/x2go.conf
#Type Path        Mode UID  GID  Age Argument
# Exclude X2Go session files
x /tmp/.x2go-*