[X2Go-Dev] X2Go Server (4.0.1.20) released

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Mon Nov 21 13:31:07 CET 2016

On 21.11.2016 09:36 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
> Congrats. As a side note regarding upcoming Debian 9...
>
> It is very likely, that we will get nx-libs 3.6.x (or 3.5.99.y) into
> Debian for Debian 9. I am open to packaging X2Go Server for Debian,
> too, but this requires the adaptations for nx-libs 3.6.x as found in
> the current master branch (targetting X2Go Server 4.1.0.0).
> Alternatively, X2Go devs may consider to backport those commits [1] to
> the release/4.0.1.x branch...
>
> Let me know, if any of the above can be done at X2Go upstream as a
> pre-requisite for getting X2Go Server into Debian. And also, let me
> know, if X2Go upstream "risks" to depend on nx-libs 3.6.x.

The soft freeze for squeeze is Jan 05 2017, which is coming up pretty fast.

X2Go Server 4.1.0.0 is currently not a seamless upgrade from 4.0.1.x, which
seems to be due to the new x2goserver-x2goagent and x2goagent packages. It looks
like apt wants to keep x2goagent installed, but this then conflicts later on. I
wouldn't like to push out something that breaks user systems. I'd rather like to
have a working, seamless upgrade path.

I haven't enough time and hardware resources for debugging and testing this
extensively, so for now I'd refrain from pushing out 4.1.0.0 as the new stable
version or backporting anything to 4.0.1.x.

Also, for me the RPM packages are equally important and I haven't done *any*
testing on that front yet. Orion responded to my question regarding the
*x2goagent packages a while ago but I still haven't fully understood what is the
right thing to do.

> Another thing that comes to my mind: nx-libs 3.6.x has completely
> change the Xinerama part in nxagent / x2goagent. Thus, a new handling
> of Xinerama configuration from X2Go Client's side needs to be
> implemented, too [2]. That would probably fix other Xinerama related
> issues [3].

Yep, but I the implementation is currently lacking.

Mihai