[X2Go-Dev] About X2Go Contribution

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Jan 19 04:38:17 CET 2016

Dear Orkun,
(removing all individual mail recipients from Cc:, as all of us are
listening on the mailing lists).

On  Mo 18 Jan 2016 23:01:59 CET, Orkun BALCI wrote:

> Dear Sirs and Madams,
>
> I am The Release, Repository and Package Manager of Pardus National
> Operating System Distribution (http://www.pardus.org.tr) and we are
> developing our own continous integration and build system. Pardus is mainly
> a Debian distribution but we are maintaining packages from sources, and
> from other  Linux based operating systems like RedHat. Our core development
> group has a wide range of experiences like UNIX System Administration of
> Cloud Computing (see http://www.truba.gov.tr/eng/), UNIX System
> Administration of Grid Computing (see http://www.grid.org.tr/eng/),
> Embedded Systems and Our National wide educational IT project named FATİH
> (see http://fatihprojesi.meb.gov.tr/tr/english.php), Remote Mass Machine
> Management (see http://liderahenk.org/ and
> https://www.pardus.org.tr/web/projeler/lider-ahenk), and Identity
> Management System (see https://www.pardus.org.tr/web/projeler/engerek).
>
> We are using X2Go Project on our Terminal Server Systems, and we want to
> spread it all over countrywide. I am the lead developer of terminal server
> project. Now, we want to contribute to upstream, we want some new features
> and we need a fully working X2Go server + session broker + LDAP system with
> extra new features. We have a feature list of what we want to do and what
> we will want to do. We want to work in collaboration and build X2Go
> packages from the sources in X2Go git repositories. Moreover, we heavily
> interested in contributing and developing X2Go core codes and integrate
> directly into development. Upto now, we are making workarounds for X2Go
> project and we are using them in our systems but it is now not enough and
> we need to develop more on core components and core project. Now, I want to
> be the man directly contacting with you and one of the official open source
> developers of X2Go project.
>
> We are waiting for your response.
>
> Best Regards,
> Orkun BALCI

Thanks a lot for your interest in X2Go.

For ease of communication, please subscribe to the project's mailing
lists [0].

For organizational matters, please use the x2go-project mailing list.

For developmental / technical matters, please use the x2go-dev mailing list.

All people that you explicitly had in the To: or Cc: field(s) for your
mail are also subscribed to the above referenced mailing lists.

Stefan Baur and/or Heinz-M. Graesing will get back to you on the core
X2Go code and comment on most of your suggestions/questions.

As I am currently setting up a new remote desktop computing project
(The Arctica Project [1]), I am not much available for X2Go hacking
anymore, but I am still maintainer of five components in X2Go:

   o X2Go Session Broker
   o nx-libs (graphical backend behind X2Go)
   o Python X2Go
   o PyHoca-GUI
   o PyHoca-CLI

If you encounter any issues with any of those X2Go-specific
components, please report them via the X2Go bug tracker. I will do my
best to process such issue reports in a considerable amount of time.

If you encounter any issues with nx-libs, I'd recommend reporting
issues via the Arctica Project's organization account on Github [2].
The active development of nx-libs has moved from the X2Go Git site to
Github. The nx-libs development is a joint effort of three projects:
Arctica Project, TheQVD, X2Go.

I am sad to say that I do not have much focus anymore on continuing
heavy feature development around the X2Go Session Broker (mainly,
because we will rewrite broker functionality from scratch in the
Arctica Project). I can and will do feature development on a
contracted basis, but I will not do development during my spare time
anymore (as I did earlier). So, if you are interested in the X2Go
Session Broker component for Pardus, you may want to consider offering
help with its maintenance to the other X2Go upstream devs).

Also, you may be interested in joining the next X2Go Developers'
meeting on IRC this Thursday [3]. Consider this as an invitation.

light+love,
Mike

[0] http://lists.x2go.org
[1] https://arctica-project.org