[X2Go-Dev] Some backports

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Thu Jun 4 09:52:26 CEST 2015

Hi Uli,
(Re-Cc:ing the x2go-dev mailing list to keep Mihai in the loop).

On  Mi 03 Jun 2015 14:15:47 CEST, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 12:03 PM, Mike Gabriel
> <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
>
>> Ooops. Duplicate work here (a little, but maybe not, because your fixes
>> target specific bugs, so they are valuable for the 3.5.0.x branch, see
>> below)
>
> I don't think that we have wasted time. I needed the first fix anyway
> (without it can add a new mode with xrandr --newmode, but you cannot
> remove the mode again with xrandr --rmode) ... And having those fixes
> in 3.5.x is important.

Yes, I think that was not duplicate work either. Thanks for tracking
those issues down.

>> I have been working on randr extension 1.5 for nx-libs yesterday and today.
>> https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/48#issuecomment-107380480
>
> You state that it is not trivial. I can imagine that the restructed
> build system and some newly added macros are problematic. What other
> obstacles  did you find so far?

I am still working on the patch rebasing itself (no test build, yet).
I want to keep the diff as minimal as possible, but the X.Org devs
re-formatted their files, so the patches got polluted with a lot of
white space overhead. I am now through with re-editing all files
(yawn... boring task) and will start test-building (fixing macros et
al.) tomorrow. (My notebook died yesterday and I am on my old notebook
now, so things got delayed here).

>> I will soon push stuff to a branch, but until now the changes are local on
>> my notebook only (work-in-progress).
>
> I am keen on seeing this. Randr 1.5 adds concepts that might simplify
> my randr code.

I'll be as fast as I can to get something usable out.

>> For 3.5.0.x -> @Ionic: please use the above commit URL from Uli to pull-in
>> the randr fixes into 3.5.0.x.
>>
>>> backport. Also, is it ok to mark the fixes by a comment as I did or
>>> should this information better be moved to the commit log?
>>
>> They'd better go into the commit log, I'd say.
>
> So then I will create some separate patches. @Ionic: Please  delay
> your pull until I have done that. I think I will create a new branch
> for them.

@Mihai: I guess, you haven't got the above info. Please wait with
3.5.0.x (or, if ok with you, re-do).

Greets,