[X2Go-Dev] Bug#723: x2go sessions insta-break with some GUI software (ROOT TBrowser)

Babutzka, Martin (EKP) martin.babutzka at kit.edu
Wed Jan 7 19:33:42 CET 2015

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.0.3.0

x2goserver-version: 4.0.1.18-0~949 running on Ubuntu 14.04.1
x2goclient-version: 4.0.3.0 running on Windows 7

We are experiencing a strange bug in the interplay of x2go with a component of the ROOT data analysis framework (https://root.cern.ch). Displaying GUI windows in the ROOT framework, shows them shortly and results in an immediate CRASH of the X2go connection with a Windows error "vcxsrv.exe has stopped working" and subsequent closure of all opened remote applications.
Strangely the GUI window shows up when resuming the session in X2go. Running the ROOT GUI window from pure vcxsrv, Xming, Mobaxfire or similar Windows X-Server applications works flawlessly. It also worked previously with the "baikal" version of X2go. I admit this seems to be an exotic bug but there might be further graphical software affected which increases the severity of this bug.

Steps to reproduce:
- Install ROOT from the webpage or via "apt-get install root-system-bin" on the x2goserver
- Run "root" on command line.
- Open a TBrowser with the command "TBrowser b"

After this the x2goclient slowly fills the "session" log with warnings of
"Proxy: WARNING! Handling data for finishing FD#6 channel ID#1."

This bug is a kind of a show stopper for us because we need ROOT for scientific use. I would help to further track down the error and debug if I can get some hints where and how to start.

Kind regards,
Martin