[X2Go-Dev] Bug#714: Actually a packaging problem

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 18:08:18 CET 2015

This is actually a problem with our packaging. A 3rd-party RPM exists
to provide a newer version of Sys::Syslog that is sufficient, and this
is stated on the wiki.

The bug is that yum is not informing the user of the need to install
that newer version. The wiki states the following, and the 2nd
sentence is false:
"One approach is to download required packages manually. Yum will tell
you what is needed, when you ask it to install x2goserver."
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:installation:x2goserver?&#rhel_5

For reference:
The RPM that I used (and tested successfully) was:
http://flexbox.sourceforge.net/centos/5/x86_64/perl-Sys-Syslog-0.27-1.el5.x86_64.rpm
Apparently 32-bit users should use this noarch RPM instead:
http://flexbox.sourceforge.net/centos/5/i386/perl-Sys-Syslog-0.27-1.noarch.rpm