[X2Go-Dev] X.org Coverity fixes (from 2006) & nx-libs

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Feb 18 15:57:43 CET 2015

Hi folks,

On  Mi 18 Feb 2015 13:09:01 CET, Michael DePaulo wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM, Mihai Moldovan <ionic at ionic.de> wrote:
>> On 18.02.2015 04:12 AM, Michael DePaulo wrote:
>>> While I was backporting the CVE-2015-0255 fix from X.org to nx-libs, I
>>> noticed that there were a ton of Coverity fixes from 2006 in the X.org
>>> Xserver:
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/log/?qt=grep&q=Coverity
>>>
>>> I backported only one of them as a prereq for CVE-2015-0255:
>>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=47bdc9528c2dd4ea9d59a0944c023173ea7a7a66
>>>
>>> Thoughts/Comments?
>>
>> This is very alike the general question whether bugfixes from Xorg
>> should be backported to our current version of nx-libs.
>>
>> My personal take on that is that this should be low-priority and
>> backporting is fine when you have spare time on your hands (general "you".)
>>
>> Within this list, I'd prioritize issues that could crash NX higher than
>> those merely fixing memory leaks.

I am seeing a bit clearer now about what nxagent needs to keep for a
little longer, and what is likely to go away sooner (or later, well...).

Has to stay:

   libNX_X11
   libNX_Xinerama
   libNX_Xrandr
   libNX_Xrender
   libNX_GL (statically comiled into nxagent)

Maybe can go away (be replaced by its pendant in recent X.Org):

   lib(NX_)Xfont (actually, statically linked into nxagent)
   lib(NX_)Xcomposite
   lib(NX_)Xext
   lib(NX_)Xpm
   lib(NX_)Xfixes

Probably can go away soon:

   lib(NX_)Xdmcp
   lib(NX_)Xtst
   lib(NX_)Xau (well, who knows)

The above libs stem from the nx-X11/lib/ subdir.

About the actual Xserver code in nx-X11/programs/Xserver, I am not sure, yet.

Thus, if it comes to backporting patches, I'd say that working on

   libNX_X11, libNX_Xinerama, libNX_Xrandr, libNX_Xrender

will be of benefit to our NX code quality. Working on the other libs
may have been in vain by some point of time in the future.

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31