[X2Go-Dev] versioning of X2Go Client

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 14:03:17 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
> On  Mi 18 Feb 2015 06:23:59 CET, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>
>> On 18.02.2015 06:09 AM, Mike Gabriel wrote:
>>>
>>> my recommendations for X2Go Client versioning:
>>>
>>>   o release X2Go Client as is on Git master as 4.0.3.2
>>>   o merge feature/cleanup branch to master (discussion at our next
>>> meeting)
>>>   o version bump to 4.0.4.0
>>>   o release 4.0.4.0 whenever it suits you
>>

>> Thanks for bringing that up. Yes, that's exactly the plan.
>>
>> This said, I explicitly built the preview version from my bugfix/osx
>> (/features/cleanup) branch to have it tested more widely. While the code
>> changes were minimal, as already discussed in private, (FIXME: also put
>> this up the mailing list tomorrow!) I didn't test more sophisticated
>> features like the broker or LDAP and there is a chance some resources
>> (images) are not yet correctly wrapped up in my wrapper. I suspect I got
>> it all, but more testing is never a bad idea.
>>
>> The benefit of this build to the user of course is a way more stable
>> client which doesn't need to be restarted every time a subsequent
>> session is started.
>>

>> 4.0.3.2 will be released based on current master, not my restructured
>> branch(es).
>>

>>> @Heinz, Stefan: IMHO, this is a very got point in time where the X2Go
>>> team could release the next X2Go LTS bundle. If needed, I can help
>>> with that now. If this shall be done some time later (I really
>>> disrecommend that), then you can pull me in via a coaching contract
>>> for that (because, no idea when this will be and where I will be by
>>> that time).
>>

>> My understanding of LTS is still very fuzzy. Does LTS merely mean that
>> it's supported for an extended period of time, living in its own
>> directory on packages.x2go.org and that any bugfixes for master are
>> supposed to be backported to the LTS release?
>

> It means:
>
>   o extra branches in Git that only get security issues and heavy breakage
>     cherry-picked
>   o dual release scheme (LTS version, main release version)
>   o separate URLs for obtaining packages (see [1])
>   o support of those LTS branches in Git (and their binary release) for
>     a defined period of time (until the next bundle release, basically)
>   o AND: I have seen several people using the Baikal LTS Bundle!!!
>
> Mike
>
> [1] http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/download:baikal

As the Windows maintainer, I would like a 4.0.4.0 release to happen in
the coming months so that I can upgrade (rather than update) multiple
Windows dependencies such as PulseAudio 5.0 -> 6.0.

Also, I agree that now is the perfect time for an LTS since Ubuntu
14.04, RHEL7 and SLE12 were all released last year. Also, this LTS
release will support Debian Jessie I presume.

-Mike