[X2Go-Dev] CUPS-X2Go (3.0.1.1) released

Mihai Moldovan ionic at ionic.de
Wed Feb 11 02:22:40 CET 2015

On 11.02.2015 12:30 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 02/10/2015 01:24 PM, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> The X2Go project is proud to announce a new release of the X2Go
>> component ,,cups-x2go''.
>>
>> [...]
>>    * cups-x2go.spec:
>>      + Pull-in packaging stuff from Jan Engelhardt's .spec files
>>        on
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go.
>>      + Make package arch-any, not noarch.
> I don't understand the reason for this change, it seems clearly to be a noarch
> package.

Please take that up with Mike#1 and Jan, as the original authors.

I'm willing to revert the patch, because the package clearly looks
noarch. Jan probably forgot the statement and Mike#1 just pulled it
over. I'm just guessing, though.

> Also, FYI:
>  - on Fedora ssh is in openssh-clients.

Thanks. Does that hold for all versions?

>  - cups backends go in %{_prefix}/lib, not %_libexecdir

Thanks again. This seems to also hold for OpenSUSE. Printer vendors seem
to prefer libexec for their backends/drivers, just like Apple does. We
should probably follow what the Linux distros do, though.

>  - You install the cups-x2go with 755:
>
> install -pm755 cups-x2go %{buildroot}%{_prefix}/lib/cups/backend/
>
> then change it to 700 in %files:
>
> %attr(0700,root,root) %_libexecdir/cups/backend/cups-x2go
>
> Is there any reason for it to be 700?  I see other stuff in that directory is
> a mix:

Yes, quoting from
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/X11:RemoteDesktop:x2go/cups-x2go/cups-x2go.spec?expand=1

> # The cups-x2go backends wants root permissions. So give it to them.
> # http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/doc-1.4/man-backend.html says:
> # “Backends without world execute permissions are run as the root user.
> # Otherwise, the backend is run using the unprivileged user account,
> # typically "lp".”

This is still true for CUPS 2.0.

I think the permissions are fine here.

> - I have no idea about non-Fedora/RHEL distros, but %defattr() is no longer
> needed for any modern (RHEL5+) rpm systems.

This is just my personal habit, but I like being more verbose better
than not to define something. If it's OK with you, I'll keep the
%deffattr macros.

> - Alsi, in Fedora, you should not own directories own by other packages that
> it requires.  I have:
>
> %files
> %doc ChangeLog COPYING README.txt
> %{_prefix}/lib/cups/backend/cups-x2go
> %config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/cups/cups-x2go.conf
> %{_datadir}/ppd/cups-x2go/
> %{_datadir}/x2go/

Good catch, thank you. Additionally, we're missing the documentation.
I'll merge that in.

Btw: the other components are scheduled for release some time after
Thursday. If you find the time, please take a swift look beforehand.

Mihai