[X2Go-Dev] nx-libs git tree

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Sep 9 10:58:12 CEST 2014

Hi Ulrich,

On  Mo 08 Sep 2014 18:30:59 CEST, Ulrich Sibiller wrote:

> Am 19.08.2014 19:57, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>>> I think these should also be merged into the git tree for reference.
>>> What do you think?
>>>
>>> Uli
>>
>> You are probably right, but I guess rebasing the whole stuff and
>> merging in those tarballs underneath tarballs that are already present
>> is a lot of work which may or may not be worth the effort.
>>
>> I won't do that due to lack of time. If you volunteer on that task:
>> WELCOME!!!
>
> I will do that, and I think it is not that complicated. The git
> community offers tools for that kind of jobs. The critical point is
> how to prepend the old stuff to the current tree. To my current

Prepending is something that is not easily possible, indeed. Esp.
without rebasing everything on the nx* branch of nx-libs.git (and thus
breaking the merge points into master).

Actually, having the history in correct position is not worth a
complete rebase (to me). Many many people have cloned that nx-libs
repo and work with it. We cannot change the commit order, esp. not on
the master branch. This is not an option at all.

What may be an option is creating a new branch that hosts all patches
previous to the NX versions that we currently ship. That branch will
be complete detached of all other branches.

> knowledge this is something that has to be done on the server
> (=github) side. I must investigate further.

Nope, all Git related work must be done on your local working copy, I
guess. Speaking about Github -> do you mean the provider that provides
us with https://github.com? Or do you mean the central Git hosting
server (http://git.x2go.org). X2Go is not at github.com (at least
officially).

The gain of the all this will be ZERO in terms of pushing NX
development forward. Don't get me wrong... I'd love you to contribute
to our project, but please consider well, if there aren't other fields
of work that you could more sustainably spent your time and energy on.

Thanks+Greets,

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31