[X2Go-Dev] Question about VERSION file in NXCOMP

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Oct 21 10:03:12 CEST 2014

Hi Nito,

On  Mo 21 Jul 2014 19:04:50 CEST, Nito Martinez wrote:

> Hi al,
>
> I have a question about the VERSION file that you use in the nxcomp
> directory, it seems to be fixed at 3.5.0.
> Is there any reason not to update this? Have you found any issues?
>
> I know there is negotiation about the minor and major versions in
> between the client, but the patch version doesn´t seem to be affected.
>
> This is basically to be able to track errors and be able to match
> them up with the commits,
>
> Please let me know if this makes sense,
>
> Regards,
>
> Nito

I have reviewed your patch around Version.c once more (see [1]).

I have noticed two issues.

1. license issue
----------------
You licensed Version.c under GPL-3+. This conflicts with the current
GPL-2 (not +) license of the rest of the code.

I need to relicense that (under your copyright). Please confirm via
x2go-dev list (so we have that in public).

2. maintenance patch level not used
-----------------------------------
I noticed that the maintenance patch level (4th digit in the nx-libs
version) is never used nor printed anywhere.

Wouldn't make sense to at least print the 4-digit version in the
session.log output? We would have to modify

   nxcomp/Loop.c
   nx-X11/programs/Xserver/hw/nxagent/Init.c

for that.

I can do the change for nxcomp/Loop.c, but could you possible take a
look at nx-X11/programs/Xserver/hw/nxagent/Init.c.

What do you think?

I would like to get nx-libs 3.5.0.28 out today or tommorrow at the
latest, so we can provide it in Debian jessie. A quick response will
be highly appreciated.

Thanks+Greets,
Mike

[1]