[X2Go-Dev] Alex's fix in x2goserver

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 06:23:09 CEST 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Mike Gabriel
<mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
> On  Do 24 Jul 2014 07:02:27 CEST, Michael DePaulo wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Mike Gabriel
>> <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mike#2

>>> Yes, please. Can you also check for the existence of duplicate bugs?
>>

>> Done & done.

>>> Yes. We should cherry-pick now. Actually, the two last commits on
>>> x2goserver.git, but I'd suggest only to the release/4.0.1.x branch
> [...]
>>>
>>> -> on master branch
>>>    revert this commit
>>>    cherry-pick it again
>>>    do "git reset HEAD~"
>>>    move the changelog entry to 4.0.1.16
>>>    add bug closure if appropriate
>>>    commit it again in Alex's name (--author="Fullname <mailaddress>")
>>>    Then cherry-pick it to release/4.0.1.x branch
>>>
>>> (2)
>>>
>>> Clean user SSHD process if connection between server and client lost.
>>> This
>>> should fix error "Global request tcpip-forward failed".
>>> bf318affee905cf7cdeaa5a248dfd07bc46a8a96 [2]
>>>
>>> -> on master branch
>>>    revert this commit
>>>    cherry-pick it again
>>>    do "git reset HEAD~"
>>>    do "git add x2goserver/lib/x2gormforward"
>>>    move the changelog entry to 4.0.1.16
>>>    add bug closure if appropriate
>>>    commit it again in Alex's name (--author="Fullname <mailaddress>")
>>>    Then cherry-pick it to release/4.0.1.x branch
>>

>> Crap, I didn't follow these instructions properly at all. I
>> cherry-picked the 2 commits to release/4.0.1.x, without doing any of
>> the prior steps. When I cherry-picked them, I moved the changelog
>> entry to 4.0.1.16,. But the changelog entry is still on 4.1.0.0 on the
>> master branch.
>>
>> I ran "git reset HEAD~" twice on the release/4.0.1.x branch on my
>> local repo, it succeeded. But then when I ran "git push", I got this
>> error.
>>
>> mike at executor /cygdrive/c/x2gobuilds/x2goserver/debian
>> $ git push
>> To ssh://x2go@code.x2go.org:32032/srv/git/code.x2go.org/x2goserver.git
>>  ! [rejected]        release/4.0.1.x -> release/4.0.1.x (non-fast-forward)
>> error: failed to push some refs to
>> 'ssh://x2go@code.x2go.org:32032/srv/git/code.x2go.org/x2goserver.git'
>> To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
>> Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
>> 'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.
>>
>> Let me know how to proceed. I can do the work this evening (it's
>> already past midnight here, so "this evening" is about 18 hours from
>> now), the next evening, or whenever you can reply to me. I'm much more
>> familiar with git than I was when I joined the X2Go Project, but I
>> don't want to make any pushes to code.x2go.org that might interfere
>> with how you have configured code.x2go.org.
>

> You probably have a merge commit on your local release/4.0.1.x branch.
>
> Or the commit order has changed on your local working copy (release/4.0.1.x
> branch). You may want to look at this article [1]. Always use git pull with
> --rebase option.
>
> My approach proposal is (as this is the simplest without needing too much
> Git plumbing knowledge)... clone a new working copy from x2goserver.git and
> try again. Compare the commit logs of the "broken" Git working copy and the
> newly pulled wc is a good learning session, anyway.

[...]

Hi Mike#1,

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

The problem is that I already pushed the 2 commits. That's why I said
"Crap". I should have made it clear that I already pushed.

I cloned the repo, checked out the release/4.0.1.x branch, and ran
"git reset HEAD~" twice, and then tried to push. However, I got the
same error as before.

mike at executor /cygdrive/c/x2gobuilds/x2goserver
$ git push
To ssh://x2go@code.x2go.org:32032/srv/git/code.x2go.org/x2goserver.git
 ! [rejected]        release/4.0.1.x -> release/4.0.1.x (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to
'ssh://x2go@code.x2go.org:32032/srv/git/code.x2go.org/x2goserver.git'
To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.

-Mike#2