[X2Go-Dev] Bug#534: Bug#534: Windows: PyHoca-GUI fails to start (ImportError: No module named wx)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sun Jul 6 00:21:01 CEST 2014

Hi Michael,

On  Sa 05 Jul 2014 15:46:24 CEST, Michael DePaulo wrote:

> package: pyhoca-gui
> version: 0.5.0.0-preview
>
> For some reason I cannot figure out, on my home desktop (Windows 8.1
> with update 1 64-bit) I experience the error below when I try to
> launch PyHoca-GUI in development mode.
>
> I have not been able to testPyHoca-GUI in regular/installed mode due to #531.
>
> Yet on the X2Go-WinBuilder VM (Windows 7 64-bit SP1,) which I am
> almost certain I did the same exact setup work on (according to the
> instructions immediately below), it does not have the problem. It
> launches pyhoca-gui successfully.
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:build-howto-mswin:pyhoca-gui
>
> I've attached a 1 line fix. I'd like to discuss it before I commit it.

IMHO you have to make sure that the correct wx version is loaded.

So if we place an "import wx" into pyhoca-gui(.exe), we should make
sure the correct wx.version is used. So "import wx" needs to be blown
up to:

"""
try:
     import wxversion
     wxversion.select('2.9')
except: pass

try:
     import wxversion
     wxversion.select('2.8')
except: pass

import wx
"""

If that fixes the problem on Windows, I am happy with these extra
lines in pyhoca-gui. (Please accompany those lines with a comment that
explains, why the import occurs there, although the wx module is not
used in pyhoca-gui(.exe) directly (but only in submodules).

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31