[X2Go-Dev] nx-libs patches have not been applied in some of the x2goclient win32 releases

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Jul 2 09:49:55 CEST 2014

Hi Michael,

don't worry to much about this. You have discovered that error, you
fix it now.

On  Mi 02 Jul 2014 05:19:34 CEST, Michael DePaulo wrote:

> Hi Developers,
>
> Notice these instructions on the wiki about building nxproxy. I have
> never updated them:
> http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:development:build-howto-mswin:x2goclient#building_nxproxy

Ok, this part of the build howto needs updating then...

> I just realized that if you follow these instructions, which have you
> download from git, none of the patches are applied. So I think that
> nxproxy (nx-libs-lite) is only at version 3.5.0, not 3.5.0.27.
>
> If you build from the tarball instead, these patches have already
> been applied:
> mikedep333 at X2Go-WinBuilder
> /cygdrive/d/Build/TARBALL/nx-libs-3.5.0.27/doc/applied-patches
> $ cat series
> 000_add-NX-redistribution-README.full+lite.patch
> 005_nxcomp_gcc43.full+lite.patch
> 006_nxcomp_libpng15.full+lite.patch
> 008_nxcomp_sa-restorer.full+lite.patch
> 009_nxproxy_add-man-page.full+lite.patch
> 012_nxcomp_makefile-uninstall+autoconf.full+lite.patch
> 015_nxproxy_makefile-uninstall.full+lite.patch
> 024_fix-make-clean.full+lite.patch
> 026_nxcomp_honour-optflags.full+lite.patch
> 027_nxcomp_abstract-X11-socket.full+lite.patch
> 029_nxcomp_ppc64.full+lite.patch
> 051_nxcomp_macos105-fdisset.full+lite.patch
> 052_nxcomp_macos10-nxauth-location.full+lite.patch
> 210_nxcomp_save_session_state.full+lite.patch
> 211_nxcomp_set_default_options.full+lite.patch
> 212_nxcomp_build-on-Android.full+lite.patch
> 220_nxproxy_bind-loopback-only.full+lite.patch
>
> Unfortunately, since I started doing windows builds (I started with
> 4.0.1.2-pre01), I have alternated between compiling the
> already-patched tarballs and compiling from the unpatched git sources.
> And I do not see an easy way to determine which windows releases have
> the patches or not. When I run the patched 3.5.0.27 "nxproxy.exe
> -version", I only see "3.5.0."

The version is always 3.5.0. We never patched that. As we did not
change anything about the NX protocol itself, we leave it like that.
NX exchanges server/client protocol versions and we want that to be
"3.5.0" (and nothing else).

> I just compiled 3.5.0.27 from the patched tarball and updated the
> X2Go-WinBuilder's files.I then triggered a jenkins build manually.
> So this build has the patches:
> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/heuler/mingw32-4.4/qt-4.8/x2goclient-4.0.2.1-2014.07.02-setup.exe
> (timestamp: 02-Jul-2014 04:58 )

Very good!

> build log (for x2goclient, not for nx-libs):
> http://jenkins.x2go.org:8080/job/x2goclient+nightly+mingw32-4.4+qt-4.8/107/
> And so should all subsequent builds.
>
> Still, I'd like to know how to proceed. Especially in terms of the
> x2goclient changelog.

Mention this enlightenment in the changelog stanza for 4.0.2.1. Don't
fix older changelog entries.

> Also, can I stop going out of my way to use libpng 1.2 now? See the
> wiki page for what I mean (and note cygwin only has libpng 1.5 in its
> repos now.)

The patchset for nxproxt fixes builds against libpng 1.5, so you can
update libpng on the build system (and document that change), I guess.

Thanks for being so precise on this!!!! I guess there are many people
out there that deeply appreciate this accuracy of yours!!!

light+love,

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31