[X2Go-Dev] RFC: Future coordination of events and contest participations

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Dec 23 14:19:09 CET 2014

Hi Stefan,

On  Di 23 Dez 2014 13:37:38 CET, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I'm posting this here as we don't have a list for organisational
> matters (yet - maybe we should create one? Opinions, anyone?).

This has been on my todo list for too long anyway:

Please announce that list on x2go-announcements, would you?

> Recently, there have been two occasions where people related to X2Go
> have signed up/applied in X2Go's name, without letting the others know
> about it.
> Since in most cases, it doesn't make sense to apply twice, this means
> some people have spent time working on an application that had to be
> scrapped, so as not to collide with the earlier one written by an
> individual.
>
> I don't want to point any fingers in public or name names - those
> responsible have already hung their heads in shame off-list - however,
> I would kindly ask *everyone* that knows about contests where X2Go
> could take part, fairs where we could get a free booth, etc. to post
> such info on this list (at least until we have a separate list
> dedicated to that purpose), and tag it "RFP: <YYYY-MM-DD> <Eventname>".

No, post such stuff on x2go-project at lists.x2go.org (NEW). The x2go-dev
list should not be bothered with project organization. Neither should
we expect, people being interested in organizational stuff and events,
digging around in all the BTS messages and development postings.

> That way, we can coordinate our efforts in public and aren't wasting
> time and end up working against each other and to the disadvantage of
> the project (two independent applications look unprofessional, IMO).
> Spending one and a half days on an application that ends up scrapped
> really sucks, especially if the time dedicated to it could have been
> spent earning money.
>
> *Everybody, please help us avoid this in the future by going public
> with your info _before_ you apply in X2Go's name.*

+1 from me on the above. We need to put a highlighted page onto the
wiki explaining the above procedure (including modifications that come
in with more feedback to your post, Stefan).

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31