[X2Go-Dev] How should we implement disabling microphone input in x2goclient?

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 15:00:11 CET 2014

Hi guys,

If you read this email convo:
[X2Go-User] Pulseaudio doesn't start on Win7
It becomes clear that X2Go Client for Windows needs a way to pass
record=0 to pulseaudio.exe in config.pa. This will disable microphone
input.

There are 3 ways to do this that I can think of. Which do you think I
should implement? Implementing more than one way should be possible.
If I do implement more than one way, we need to figure out what
overrides what.
1. A command-line argument like --microphone=on|off (proposed by
Stefan). This would affect all sessions.
2. Under "Options" -> "Settings", add a new tab like "PulseAudio
settings" or "Sound settings" with the microphone on or off option.
This would affect all sessions.
3. A session preference. Probably under "Settings" -> " Sound". This
might be problematic, since it would be a Windows-client-specific
session preference. This would obviously be on a per-session basis.
4. Perhaps a registry key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE rather than
HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Only an administrator would have permission to
change this reg key.

I am leaning towards both 1 and 2. By default, microphone input will
be enabled. But if a user toggles it via #2, or if x2goclient is
called with the argument from #1, then it will be changed to on or
off.
So hypothetically, this could happen:
1. it defaults to on.
2. A user turns it off via #2.
3. It is turned on again via #1.
4. The user starts x2goclient again without the argument from #1. It
is still on.

Another variation is to have #1 forcibly override #2, but only for the
current instance of x2goclient

So hypothetically, this could happen:
1. it defaults to on
2. A user turns it off via #2
3. It is turned on again via #1, but only for the current instance of
x2goclient. The GUI for #2 is greyed out, but only for the current
instance.
4. The user starts x2goclient without the argument from #1. it is off again.

-Mike