[X2Go-Dev] X2Go vs. xrdp

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Mon Sep 30 21:18:03 CEST 2013

Hi Mathias,

Sorry, for this late reply. Your mail somehow slipped through.

On  Do 26 Sep 2013 17:00:58 CEST, Mathias Ewald wrote:

> for a company I was tasked with comparing x2go vs xrdp. Unfortunately,
> information regarding performance is scarce at best ... What I have is
> that x2go provides a lot more config options like pack, * redirection
> etc. but absolutely nothing reliable on performance. Do you have any
> information for me? Did you conduct any tests?

No, we did not conduct any bench mark or alike. There are many
personal experiences around, though. Latency is more an issue to X2GO
than bandwidth.

Furthermore, xrdp encapsulates the VNC protocol, so it is an XVnc
session that gets ,,converted'' to RDP. (which then gets converted to
X11 on the client, in case it's an Linux machine). So, this looks
quite awkward. X2Go uses a compressed and cached X11-like (NX) protocol.

You may find some information on the NoMachine website [1]. X2Go's
graphic stuff is based on NX 3.5.

Greets,
Mike

[1] http://www.nomachine.com