[X2Go-Dev] SupeReNicer support for X2Go Server 4.1.0.0-preview

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Tue Nov 12 20:34:52 CET 2013

Am 12.11.2013 20:15, schrieb Orion Poplawski:
> On 11/12/2013 12:06 PM, Helmer Teles wrote:
>> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 11:54:40 Orion Poplawski wrote:
>>> But nicing something something just changes the scheduling, not the
>>> amount
>>> of  work to be done.
>>
>> But in my POV if you have a workload with 30 or more users running
>> several
>> applications, if the suspended processes can have a lower scheduling
>> the CPU
>> will have less wait states, but maybe you are right. :D
>>
>> Powertop can help in this question ;)
>>

> Yes, I'd like to see empirical measurements - preferably with a
> sensitive watt meter :)

I'm only guessing here, but while it is probably true, that a process
with a lower priority will not decrease the power consumption of the
server it is running on, you should see an increase in responsiveness
for currently active tasks, like X2Go sessions in an active/connected
state. Which would allow you to stack more users onto a single server,
rather than having to buy a second one. And that's quite an energy
consumption there, both in electricity during its lifetime and in
electricity/resources needed to build the server.
Of course, this is assuming that a certain percentage of your users is
always idle/suspended/disconnected or not logged in at all.

-Stefan