[X2Go-Dev] Bug#225: when uninstalling x2goclient from windows, the .x2go folder remains

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Thu May 30 20:46:59 CEST 2013

On Thu, 30 May 2013 19:23:51 +0200 Stefan Baur
<newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de> wrote:
> Am 30.05.2013 18:46, schrieb Αλέξανδρος Τασίκας:
> > Package: x2goclient
> > Version: 4.0.0.3
> >
> > when uninstalling x2goclient, the .x2go folder which is in the user
> > space (in windows-XP C:\Docs&Sets\username\.x2go)is not deleted!!!
> > I think the uninstall process should delete folder also.
> > (maybe related with Bug#224)
> >

> Deleting stuff from user directories is a bad idea and should not be
> done. Please think of multi-user setups on the same machine. A user
> might have an individual copy of x2goclient.exe somewhere (there's no
> requirement to install x2goclient, it can be run as a
> portable/stand-alone application) and you'd delete that user's
> settings with a system-wide purge of all "C:\Documents and
> Settings\*\.x2go" directories. This is not what you want.

Also think about multi-machine setups with central user directories
and/or roaming profiles. Deleting x2go on one machine doesn't mean its
gone on all machines the user-directory is accessed from.

And deleting stuff from the users dirs is generally no good idea. Might
be something is borked with the install, so the user deinstalls and
reinstalls. That doesn't mean he want to loose all his settings and
profiles for x2go...

Have fun,

Arnold