[X2Go-Dev] nxagent dependency problem on CentOS and SL

Daniel Gibbs me at danielgibbs.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 19:31:59 CET 2013

Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel <at> das-netzwerkteam.de> writes:

> Hi Daniel,

> >> [...]
>
> >> Looks like the build failed there, and the culprit is a known offender:
> >> broken debuginfo scripts part of ancient rpm releases.
> >>
> >> https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log?arch=x86_64&package=nx-
> > libs&project=X11%3ARemoteDesktop%3Ax2go&repository=RHEL_6
> >>

> > I cannot believe this has still not been fixed! Do the developers of x2go
> > realise
> > that no one can install x2goserver on RHEL x64 and it variants currently?
Its
> > completely broken. I would of thought with an issue as serious as
> > this that it
> > would be a number one priority. Almost 2 weeks and it has yet to be
> > fixed. This
> > bug
> > makes this really good project look bad. Does anyone know if this is
> > even being
> > dealt with? If its going to take time to fix then maybe a post on your front
> > page
> > making people aware the developers are sorting it out.
> > Thanks
>
> May I suggest something?
>
>  From what I have read in this thread, the problem is:
>
>    o you want X2Go installable on RHEL
>    o the only person doing the RPMs does not have a machine with RHEL to test
>      his packages on
>
> @Jan: would it make sense that Daniel provided you with a login on a
> RHEL machine? Whould that help?
>
> If so, can the two of you please get together?
>
> @Daniel: some background info.
>
> Unfortunately, the people coding X2Go (Alex, me, Heinz, Morty,
> Reinhard, Arw, ...) tend to run on Debian (or Ubuntu) monoculture
> sites, only. I personally changed over to .deb packaged distros more
> than 10 years ago. On the other hand I have just become Debian
> Developer, so that is the packaging style I focus on.
>
> Thanks to Jan and his employer (who pays for it) we have RPM packages
> for concurrent RPM-based distros. Note that Jan at the time of writing
> rather is on the periphery of the project, simply providing the RPMs
> and (very good) patches. The packaging is not so much an upstream
> issue, as you might guess.
>
> So, actually you are absolutely free (as an alternative) to package
> for RHEL yourself and provide a download URL on our website. That is
> one realm of possibilities. Another surely is to arrange with Jan to
> cooperate on the RPM pacakges.
>
> I understand that you want X2Go to be spread around the global and
> also make it available on business Linux distros (like RHEL). Thanks
> for that disposition and maybe there is a niche for you to help out in
> our project.
>
> light+love,
> Mike

Thank you for the info Mike it is much appreciated. It has given me a good
understanding on
to how you guys work with the different distros. Also sorry if I caused upset. I
am happy to
help Jan out if he requires my help. I do not have RHEL but do have a CentOS
server which is
binary compatible so testing on that would work well.

My current understanding of the issue is as follows.

nxagent-3.5.0.17-3.1.x86_64 is asking for a dependency that is only available on
OpenSuse
which is xorg-x11-fonts-core. I believe this issue was resolved however when the
rpm's
attempted to be built it failed for some reason. Because of this the rpm's in
the repo for
RHEL_6 have not updated.

I believe this is the current error:

[  669s] RPM build errors:
[  669s]     Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.tWnA7V (%install)

I have tried to install other version of nxagent from fedora 17 and 18 just in
case this
would work with no success.

I am not sure if me giving Jan access to a server would help in this case. But I
am happy to
do this if it would help. A recommendation for Jan if he doesn't have any access
to an RHEL
system might be to use something like Virtualbox and create a CentOS Virtual
Machine. This
will make it very easy to test x2go on RHEL based systems.

@Jan Please feel free to email me if I can be of any assistance. Thank you