[X2Go-Dev] nxagent dependency problem on CentOS and SL

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Mar 12 13:46:25 CET 2013

Hi Daniel,

On So 10 Mär 2013 21:28:46 CET Daniel Gibbs wrote:

>>> [...]
>> [...]

>> Looks like the build failed there, and the culprit is a known offender:
>> broken debuginfo scripts part of ancient rpm releases.
>>
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/live_build_log?arch=x86_64&package=nx-
> libs&project=X11%3ARemoteDesktop%3Ax2go&repository=RHEL_6
>>

> I cannot believe this has still not been fixed! Do the developers of x2go
> realise
> that no one can install x2goserver on RHEL x64 and it variants currently? Its
> completely broken. I would of thought with an issue as serious as
> this that it
> would be a number one priority. Almost 2 weeks and it has yet to be
> fixed. This
> bug
> makes this really good project look bad. Does anyone know if this is
> even being
> dealt with? If its going to take time to fix then maybe a post on your front
> page
> making people aware the developers are sorting it out.
> Thanks

May I suggest something?

 From what I have read in this thread, the problem is:

   o you want X2Go installable on RHEL
   o the only person doing the RPMs does not have a machine with RHEL to test
     his packages on

@Jan: would it make sense that Daniel provided you with a login on a
RHEL machine? Whould that help?

If so, can the two of you please get together?

@Daniel: some background info.

Unfortunately, the people coding X2Go (Alex, me, Heinz, Morty,
Reinhard, Arw, ...) tend to run on Debian (or Ubuntu) monoculture
sites, only. I personally changed over to .deb packaged distros more
than 10 years ago. On the other hand I have just become Debian
Developer, so that is the packaging style I focus on.

Thanks to Jan and his employer (who pays for it) we have RPM packages
for concurrent RPM-based distros. Note that Jan at the time of writing
rather is on the periphery of the project, simply providing the RPMs
and (very good) patches. The packaging is not so much an upstream
issue, as you might guess.

So, actually you are absolutely free (as an alternative) to package
for RHEL yourself and provide a download URL on our website. That is
one realm of possibilities. Another surely is to arrange with Jan to
cooperate on the RPM pacakges.

I understand that you want X2Go to be spread around the global and
also make it available on business Linux distros (like RHEL). Thanks
for that disposition and maybe there is a niche for you to help out in
our project.

light+love,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31