[X2Go-Dev] x2gobroker without auth

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Mar 1 17:11:39 CET 2013

Hi Anders,

On Fr 01 Mär 2013 12:54:43 CET Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:

> 2013/3/1 Mike Gabriel <mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de>
>
>> Please use
>>>   x2goclient --broker-noauth --broker-url=<URL>
>>> For this to work, you have to set the check-credentials config option
>>>  x2gobroker.conf to false.
>>
>> I have checked this again and thought it through. As the broker needs to
>> know the username on whose behalf to operate, you probably have to add the
>> --auth-id cmdline switch:
>>
>>   x2goclient --auth-id=<broker-user> --broker-noauth --broker-url=<URL>
>>
>> This is ok with X2Go Client installations on some local/private machines.
>> On thin clients (with no local login) this does not work as the thin client
>> is not aware of the person's username sitting in front of the TC.
>>

> It works for me with just "x2goclient --broker-noauth --broker-url=<URL>"
> and check-credentials=false in x2gobroker.conf. I have tried with both
> users who exist on both the broker and terminal server and users who only
> exist on the terminal server.

The point where it fails is resuming suspended sessions. When resuming
x2goclient queries the session broker for suspended session for the
broker username. This actually feels like a conceptual bug in X2Go
Client, though, and probably has to be addressed.

> I get the available sessions and can just choose one. What I can't get to
> work though, is --session=<SESSIONNAME>. I have term-external and
> term-internal setup as available sessions in the broker, and I can choose
> term-internal and logon just fine. But I can't add --session and prechoose
> the session. Is this a bug in x2goclient or am I just doing it wrong?

I think that --session=<sessionname> is only available in non-broker
mode of X2Go Client. It would be nice to have that option work in
broker mode, as well. Can you submit it as a bug later?

>> Hmmm...
>> The other option would be to automatize the SSH login once the user has
>> authenticated against the broker. This feature is already implemented in
>> X2Go Client but needs some extra work in the public X2Go Session Broker.
>>

> If that would mean that we could have just a single login dialog for both
> authenticating against the broker and the terminal server, then that would
> be great! Disabling authentication on the broker is suboptimal IMHO.

Yes, you exactly got how it is intended to work.

>> Another issue, I have to address later: The current broker implementations
>> in X2GoClient expects that the broker user ID is identical with the SSH
>> user ID (i.e. the X2Go user ID) of the targetting servers. This is
>> suboptimal, IMHO.
>
> Yes, there might be setups where one would want different user IDs for
> broker and terminal server. Although for our setup, I prefer them to be the
> same, so our users don't have to remember more than one set of credentials.
> So for us, it is low priority :)

Agreed.

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31