[X2Go-Dev] fuse and X2Go printing

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Feb 20 17:25:40 CET 2013

Hi All,

On Mi 20 Feb 2013 11:06:46 CET Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I would prefer the solution suggested by Morty. Actually, I already
> thought about it and i want include it in new implementation of
> x2goclient. X2goclient will simply check a spool directory on server and
> download a print jobs in PDF format via existing libssh connection. This
> solution is much simpler, no need a cups, lpr, or ssh daemon running on
> a client and implementation is just the same for all operating systems.
> I can also implement this solution in current version of x2goclient if
> somebody will sponsor the development.
>
> regards
> Alex

As I see it, X2Go printing works quite ok ATM (at least +/-).

IMHO, if someone like Orion (i.e. someone who is not yet one of the
core devs but has the capability to become one) comes with a patch
that works by 80%, then let's continue this discussion.

But till then... If people agree, could we please focus on things that
do _not_ work so well at the moment????

E.g.:

   - MesaGLX software rastering of Unity & co.
   - Appropriate resizing of GNOME-fallback sessions (Xrandr)
   - xkeyboard-config-2.6 breakage
   - Xfixes and KUbuntu
   - weird LibreOffice font renderings
   - multi-session support in X2Go Client
   - integrate new desktop shells (like CINNAMON, MATE, etc.)

The bug tracker contains quite a list of open issues, too:
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=src

And also: before inventing a new session handshake protocol for
printing, we really should start documenting the current status quo of
all X2Go Client/Server v4 protocols that we have so far. (I surely put
myself on the list of not-enough-documenting devs, as well.)

light+love,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31