[X2Go-Dev] Workflow for provinding win32 X2Go Client builds (was: Re: [X2Go-User] x2goclient 4.0.1.0 for windows is available)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Feb 1 11:14:42 CET 2013

Hi Alex, hi all,

(grabbing this thread and moving it over to x2go-dev ML...)

On Do 31 Jan 2013 15:16:45 CET Oleksandr Shneyder wrote:

> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/x2goclient-4.0.1.0-pre1-setup.exe

IMHO we need to change something about the way we (you) provide the
Windows builds.

The currently available binary builds of X2Go Client are these:

x2goclient-3.99.0.0-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.0.1-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.0.2-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.0.3-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.0.4-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.0.5-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.1.0-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.1.1-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.2.1-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.3.0-pre1-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.3.0-pre2-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.3.0-pre3-setup.exe
x2goclient-3.99.3.1-pre1-setup.exe
x2goclient-4.0.1.0-pre1-setup.exe

As you see, for the recent releases of X2Go Client, there have not
been any builds. The builds have been taken prior to the release from
some version in Git, that we now cannot reference anymore.

Such a way of distributing X2Go Client creates problems concerning
compliance with the GPL. For each binary build of X2Go Client we have
to be able to make a reference (easily) to the source code used for
building X2Go Client.

With the Windows builds of X2Go Client, the current situation does not
match GPL, we have to improve that!!!

My suggestion for a more versatile workflow of providing X2Go Client
builds for Windows is this...

Preview build of X2Go Client:

  (a) provide preview builds that have the Git commit hash in its file name,
      normally it is sufficient to give the first 7 digits of the Git
      commit hash. If 7 digits is not enough for an unequivocal match, one
      has to use more than 7 digits...

      Use »git log <7-digits-of-hash>« to see if the abbreviated commit hash
      is long enough.
  (b) create checksums+signature (md5, sha1, GnuPG) for the preview build (use
      [2] to do this).
  (c) upload the built .exe file and the signature/checksums to code.x2go.org

Stable releases of X2Go Client:

  (a) on source tarball release, build X2Go Client against that tarball
  (b) create checksums+signature for that (again using [2])
  (c) upload the stable build of X2Go Client to code.x2go.org
  (d) release all preview builds for that version, including their
      checksums/signatures

[1] http://code.x2go.org/releases/source/x2goclient
[2] http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=buildscripts.git;a=blob;f=bin/signtarballs

Requesting comment / feedback on this!!!

It may also be an idea to delegate the X2Go Client builds on Windows
to someone else in the project, to take that bit of workload off of
you. But for that, it would need a howto on the wiki that explains the
way X2Go Client has to be built+assembled on Windows.

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31