[X2Go-Dev] X2Go Client Windows binary 4.0.1.2pre02

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Wed Dec 11 18:27:42 CET 2013

Am 11.12.2013 18:18, schrieb Michael DePaulo:
> I posted this workaround reply to the bug tracker, but it does not
> seem to be showing up. So here is the exact text I posted:

Weird. But thanks for the forward ...

> Please test and follow this workaround with x2goclient-4.0.1.2pre02
> (for windows) until a 4.0.1.2pre02 package with the old pulseaudio is
> made (most likely in several hours):
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

... though waiting a few hours, especially when most of these hours are
nighttime in my time zone, sounds like the easier approach. ;-)

I can't promise I'll get around to test a new version tomorrow, anyways,
and it's not like the old ones currently in use by my customers are
going to expire and cease working any time soon. ;-)

By the way, since you're new to the project, maybe you can bring some
fresh ideas to the table - the whole sound issue has been stuck for
quite a while. Not onl is pulseaudio creating choppy sound when playing
Flash videos, it's also less than ideal for transmitting sound over
low-bandwidth WAN links (I'm not a coder, but I believe I remember one
of the coders involved mentioning that pulseaudio always pushes the
original bit and sample rate "down the pipe" and doesn't adapt to the
available bandwith like the graphics part of X2Go does, where you can
change bit depth, compression, etc.).
So if you have an idea on what we could replace pulseaudio with, shoot!
:-) Just remember, we need client software for Linux, Windows and Mac
OS. My main concern would be playback, but you shouldn't forget that
there's also the faint chance that somebody wants to use the microphone
on the client and forward its sound to an application on the server.

-Stefan