[X2Go-Dev] X2Go Client Windows binary 4.0.1.2pre02

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Dec 11 15:20:23 CET 2013

Hi Stefan,

On  Mi 11 Dez 2013 14:50:02 CET, Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 11.12.2013 01:43, schrieb Michael DePaulo:
>> In preparation for the upcoming release of X2Go Client 4.0.1.2, a new
>> nightly build of the Windows binary is available for download under:
>>
>> http://code.x2go.org/releases/binary-win32/x2goclient/previews/4.0.1.2/
>>
>> Right now the current plan for 4.0.1.2's release is "We've stopped
>> making changes. If no showstopper bugs or regressions are reported,
>> we'll release 4.0.1.2 on Friday." So while we want all bugs reported
>> on http://bugs.x2go.org/ , it is especially important that users
>> report any regressions since the last stable version of X2Go Client
>> for windows, 4.0.0.3, before Friday 2013-12-13.
>
> I just tried out x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02 and I'm a little disappointed.
>
> 1) There's no improvement on the sound issue (Flash videos sound
> "choppy"), yet there's no additional download option where one could
> download a copy of x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02-setup that is set to use
> the old pulseaudio. :-( Showstopper for me, can't roll that out to
> my customers.
>
> 2) Even with the newer Xserver that is included in
> x2goclient-4.0.1.2-pre02-setup, Chromium and Chrome still crash at
> random intervals. To be exact, they're not crashing themselves,
> they're crashing the X server. Pausing and resuming a session lets
> you continue where you stopped, yet, this is an instability that
> users won't put up with since they quit Windows 98/Millennium for
> good. It's only when X2Go is involved that these crashes occur - if
> you export the display with ssh (from PuTTY) instead of using
> x2goclient.exe, Chromium and Chrome behave well. Not a showstopper
> (customers are using Iceweasel so far), but something where I had
> hoped to see some improvement with the new Xserver. :-(
>
> 3) The two items above are connected in a way: Flash sound isn't
> "choppy" in Chromium/Chrome, so if we'd get Chromium/Chrome to work,
> I could try to migrate my users away from Iceweasel to avoid the
> sound issue. On the other hand, if you are able to fix the sound
> issue, I don't see a need to migrate to Chromium/Chrome.
>
> 4) New Eye Candy #1: The taskbar icon suddenly changes into the seal
> icon once the connection is established. Please add a
> checkbox/config file entry to disable this. I'm sure it will confuse
> users who have previously used published application mode and look
> for the "Accelerated X" icon that has just vanished. I'm kind of
> disappointed that we're adding silly eye candy when there still are
> serious bugs to fix.
>
> 5) New Eye Candy #2: Upon connection, an info bubble pops up,
> containing a *totally cryptic session name* and disappearing after
> five seconds or so. No non-technical user can make use of that
> message, seriously. And even technical users will have a hard time
> memorizing a cryptic session name within 5 seconds. Please, also add
> an option to disable this popup, and seriously consider changing the
> [...]

Thanks for testing all that.

Please send individual mails to submit at bugs.x2go.org

User a proper subject line.

Put

"""
Package: x2goclient
Severity: wishlist
Version: 4.0.1.2

"""

into that first lines of each mail and add the text passage of the
corresponding item below.

mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31