[X2Go-Dev] Bug#42: GNOME3 desktop (in non-fullscreen mode) does XRandR resizing of the desktop session window

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Fri Sep 28 12:46:58 CEST 2012

Package: x2gognomebindings
Severity: important
Version: 2.0.1.6

When a GNOME3 desktop is opened via X2Go in non-fullscreen mode the
GNOME3 xrandr / monitor settings code does some awful resizing of the
desktop session window.

Reproduce (GNOME3, also an issue with Unity):

  o you need a client-side display greater than 1024x768
  o set desktop size to 1024x768 in x2goclient session profile settings
  o set desktop session to GNOME on a Debian wheezy server
  o launch session

Compare to KDE4:

  o you need a client-side display greater than 1024x768
  o set desktop size to 1024x768 in x2goclient session profile settings
  o set desktop session to KDE on a Debian wheezy server
  o launch session

What you see:

  o with KDE4 the desktop session window will have the expected size
  o with GNOME3 the window appears in the expected size and then gets resized
    from inside the starting up GNOME3 session
  o in my case: GNOME3 tries to resize to 1920x1200 pixel. The windows gets
    adapted to the greatest size possible on my client display (i.e. the
    window maximizes)
  o However, the desktop shell inside the window does not adapt to the window
    size
  o I can manually resize the window afterwards via the client-side window
    manager (play with your mouse on the window borders...)
  o Still, the desktop shell inside does not adapt its size

This might well be a GNOME3 bug (detection of X server resize events),
but it normally won't cause problems on physical hardware. So, the
X2Go team may have to discover a GNOME3 patch for this problem.

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31