[X2Go-Dev] Issues/Quirks with MAC client

Stefan Baur newsgroups.mail2 at stefanbaur.de
Wed Sep 26 13:35:24 CEST 2012

Hi list,

I'm currently experimenting with x2goclient 3.99.2.2 on Mac OS X and
this is what I've found "weird/fix-worthy" so far:

1) PulseAudio stutters (just like it does in the current MS-Windows client)
2) when x2goclient is called with "--hide", there is no way to access
the "Published Applications" menu
2.1) there is no way to start published applications from the dock
(compare right-click on systray icon on MS-Windows)
2.2) there also is no way to start published applications from the
x2goclient menu on the upper screen border

Re: 1) I'm not sure what we can do about this; it seems Mihai's attempts
to make the PulseAudio developers aware of the issues have failed. :-(

The other issues look like they could be fixed by the x2go-devs, though,
so I'm posting my suggestions here:

Re: 2) "--hide", on Windows (and probably also on Linux, though I never
checked it there), means "hide-to-systray", so parts of the application
remain accessible via right-click (context menu).
I guess a sensible action on Mac OS, when "--hide" is used, would be to
do a "minimize" by going straight to the Dock on startup, but, upon
clicking the Dock icon, show the usual screen (just like after
un-minimizing any other app).
This is under the assumption that "2.1)" simply doesn't work on Mac OS.
An alternative would be to remain "hidden", i.e. without a visible
window on screen, and offering a pull-down menu with all published
applications on the top menu bar ("2.2)").

Now, before anyone starts coding away on this, I'd like to see some
feedback from the Mac users here:
a) Where do you expect to find a list of published applications?
b) Is there a UI styleguide by Apple that says this must/must
not/should/should not be done in a particular way?

-Stefan