[X2Go-Dev] Weird error message (was: Re: New X2Go releases: x2goserver, cups-x2go, x2goplasmabindings, python-x2go)

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Sep 26 09:26:40 CEST 2012

Hi Stéphane,

On Mi 26 Sep 2012 09:15:23 CEST Stefan Baur wrote:

> Am 25.09.2012 20:35, schrieb Mike Gabriel:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> The X2Go Project is proud to announce a couple of new X2Go component
>> releases:
>>
>>   - x2goserver (3.1.1.4)
>>   - cups-x2go (3.0.0.4)
> <snip>
>
> Roughly 75%, if not more, of my servers required manual intervention
> during that upgrade, prompting me to confirm this:
>
> Setting up cups-x2go (3.0.0.4-0~x2go1+squeeze~main~62~build1) ...
>
> Configuration file `/etc/cups/cups-x2go.conf'
>  ==> Deleted (by you or by a script) since installation.
>  ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
>    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
>     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>       D     : show the differences between the versions
>       Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
>  The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** cups-x2go.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
>
> What's strange about this is that the machines were are built using
> the same automated installation script, so these kind of failures
> should show up either on all or none.
>
> Also, I don't remember deleting that file on any of these machines.
> So, if it has always been part of the package, it should always have
> been there.
>
> On the other hand, if it was introduced at a later date (which would
> explain why not all of my machines are complaining; the newer ones
> might already have it), the upgrade script shouldn't complain that
> it expected a previous version to be there.
>
> Does anyone know what might have caused this?

/etc/cups/cups-x2go.conf has been there for a while...

The commit that changed that conffile is this:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=cups-x2go.git;a=commitdiff;h=86e725ac8e514d40abcef9db2367be05736d0604

Accepting that change is recommended. Why it occurred on some machines
and not on others, I do not know.

May be (just an idea)... The release of cups-x2go has been overdue and
the modification to cups-x2go.conf has been in Git (and so in the
nightly built packages) for quite a while (half a year apprx.). May it
be possible that some of your servers had been set up from the nightly
built package archive (ppa:x2go/ppa) within the last half year and
some other had been installed from the stable PPA (ppa:x2go/stable)?
Those installed from the nightly builds would have been silent during
upgrade, the others not...

Just guessing,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31