[X2Go-Dev] Printing, x2go, Vservers

senrabdet at aol.com senrabdet at aol.com
Sat Sep 15 19:49:11 CEST 2012

Hi All:

We are trying to get x2go printing to work on a Debian Squeeze Vserver guest.

1) First, tested without Vserver - set up an x2go virtual printer on a box running x2go server; connected via an x2go client and could print (used steps from http://www.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:components:printing).

2) On another box running Vserver, set up Vserver Guest and replicated our steps to set up x2go printing including a virtual x2go printer - used http://linux-vserver.org/Problematic_Programs#Cups_print_server which entails as we understand it disabling cups listening to loopback 127.0.0.1 on the host so it doesn't conflict with the Vserver,

We also adding entries to ccapabilities (SECURE_MOUNT, SECURE_REMOUNT,BINARY_MOUNT) based on some other posts.

When we connect via X2go from "client" netbook to Vserver guest, and try to print, we can see the x2go virtual printer and printing appears to happen, but fails (both trying settings to print directly to a printer and the pdf pop approach using evince).

We're not sure how to troubleshoot this...we get an error in the Vserver cups error log "/var/log/cups/error_log" of "Unable to open listen socket for address ::1:631 - Address family not supported by protocol.) that we think is generated by the printing attempt..

This would seem to suggest some problem with sockets(?)...

Suggestions appreciated!

Any suggestions appreciated.

PS: on the same Vserver guest, from x2go on the netbook client we can print to a network printer on the local Vserver guest/host network. But not the virtual x2go virtual printer.