[X2Go-Dev] Suggestion regarding the new bug tracker

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Tue Sep 11 14:19:21 CEST 2012

Hi Stefan,

@all: we are talking about the new X2Go bug tracker: http://bugs.x2go.org

On Di 11 Sep 2012 13:39:34 CEST Stefan Baur wrote:

> I would suggest moving the bug reports to a new mailing list, if
> that is technically possible, say, one named x2go-bugs.
> That way, x2go-dev would be available for discussions regarding
> further development, "is-this-a-bug-or-am-I-doing-it-wrong", feature
> enhancements etc. and x2go-bugs would be for the bug-tracking grunt
> work.

There already is such a mailing list. It currently is used for weekly
status reports of the new bugtracker.

> General ideas:
> - Every coder should subscribe to x2go-bugs as well.

I actually disagree with splitting up the traffic over a separate
mailing list. What people have experienced today is Mike dumping all
the issues that are currently in his head into the new BTS (bug
tracker system). This will not go on like that. It has been a bit
spammy, so I am sorry for today's flood.

So.. I actually expect there neither to be more nor less traffic on
the x2go-dev mailing list than before the bug tracker. All the issues
that have been discussed on the x2go-dev mailing list can stay on the
list. The only difference is that we Cc: the corresponding bug number
when replying to the discussion. For this, people have to select
reply-to-all to all when replying.

On the list we then have all issues discussed. In the webview frontend
of the bugtracker, we have the issues and the development state of the
issues documented issue by issue (and submitter by submitter, package
by package, etc.).

> - Feature requests that have been agreed upon on x2go-dev should be
> CCed to x2go-bugs *by the coder willing to pick up the task* to
> avoid dupes.

No, messages concerning a bug have to be Cc:ed to the bugs number...
(<bugno>@bugs.x2go.org). This happens automatically if you select
,,reply-to-all''.

What I have to make sure is that we do not get dupes on the x2go-dev
mailing list (the BTS is quite verbose if not configured correctly). I
am still observing this.

> - Using two different lists will make it easier for list-newbies on
> x2go-dev that may not yet know how to properly set up a filter rule
> (central vs. individual administration).

list-newbies -> x2go-user. The x2go-dev list is for developers, so I
do not expect newbies therearound ;-)

> - Cross-posting bug reports from the bug-hunting mailing list to
> x2go-dev will be allowed/tolerated for a limited amount of time
> until we can be sure all the relevant developers are subscribed to
> x2go-bugs (or whatever name we'll end up with).

Cross-posting is complicated...

> - The automatic signature on x2go-dev should be amended with "before
> posting a bug, please check <web page of bugtracker or web page of
> x2go-bugs ML archive> if your problem is already known.".

Yeah, we can improve footers of BTS and ML mails.

> - Should an inexperienced list member post a new bug on x2go-dev,
> one of the more experienced list members (preferably one of the
> devs) should pick it up and reply with a message like "added to
> tracker, id is <foo>, see <link to Tracker/ML archive)>, thanks for
> reporting the issue."

This will happen, as well.

> - A similar approach would be in order for already known bugs, WONTFIXes etc.

Yeah.

> Comments, anyone?

Greets,

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148