[X2Go-Dev] x2go & ubuntu 12.10 ... now that there is no Unity-2d

Reinhard Tartler siretart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 16:40:59 CET 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 3:50 PM, brian mullan <bmullan.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried installing x2goserver, x2goserver-xsession on a new Ubuntu
> 12.10 machine.
>
> Trying to connect with my x2goclient I got an error
>
> Failed to load session "gnome-fallback"
>
> I guess I had thought that the entry in x2go client for "Unity" meant that
> actual support for full Unity (not just Unity-2d) had been implemented.
>
> Since starting with Ubuntu 12.10 there is no longer support for Unity-2d are
> there any plans as to what the future holds with x2go ?

Well, x2go uses NX as underlying technology. Upstream's statement
regarding this reads:
http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=355

TL;DR: this will not work. For now, my personal suggestion is to use
xubuntu or kubuntu instead.

> I also am interested what plans there might be for the coming introduction
> of Wayland into Ubuntu as well as the other linux distro's I've heard
> that are going to be supporting Wayland?

I think it is still much too early to speculate about this. A
preliminary remoting protocol is still in early drafting state and we
have to see how the details about this are going to work out.

Have a nice weekend.

--
regards,
    Reinhard