[X2Go-Dev] x2go without root on server

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Nov 10 20:20:59 CET 2012

Hi Morty, hi Ralf,

On Sa 10 Nov 2012 17:05:53 CET Moritz Strübe wrote:

>> I looked a bit into the x2goserver repository. There are several
>> subdirectories. Obviously x2goserver uses recursive make (you certainly
>> know http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/). Is there any deep
>> reaon to leave it like that?
>
> Feel free to fix it. But as with other things time is likely spent
> better otherwise.

Actually, there is a no from my side on this. It is a hassle that will
not bring much improvement. As I understand, the quoted article is
mainly about build performance. That is not relevant to such a project
as X2Go server that only build a tiny C file, only.

Don't waste your and my time on that.

>> Thanks for this hint. Maybe I still need a bit more. What does actually
>> happen when x2goclient connects to the server machine? Is it calling
>> x2goagent and x2goagent then starts x2goserver? Could you point me to
>> the code in x2goclient that does the first steps? What is currently not
>> so clear to me is, in which order and what programs are started until I
>> have a running connection.
>>

> As I already said in a previous mail: The x2go-client prints all
> commands executed on the server, and the responsible scripts on the
> server sum up to about 1800 LOC. That's really not that much, that it
> needs in detail explaining.

Morty, this has changed with x2goclient 3.99.3.0. I added a feature to
X2Go Client that may reveal a password to stdout with the referred to
output enabled:

Quote from x2goclient 3.99.3.0 changelog...

     - Allow pass-through of username and password for X2Go-proxied RDP
       sessions. The strings X2GO_USER and X2GO_PASSWORD in rdpoptions
       will be replaced by username+password enter into X2Go Clients
       login dialog. Only replace username+password if they received a
       value from the login widget of the main window.

I'd suggest using pyhoca-cli or pyhoca-gui as client tool for your
project. PyHoca has a massive debug output revealing everything that
happens in the background...

Use

   pyhoca-gui --libdebug

to watch your terminal become flooded...

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31