[X2Go-Dev] x2go without root on server

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Nov 10 13:17:26 CET 2012

Hi Ralf,

On Sa 10 Nov 2012 02:59:12 CET Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

>> If you want to provide a patch, then you have to handle the Perl module
>> based code in the master branch, I guess. However, this is in the middle
>> of transition, currently.
>
> Is master in a working state or temporarily broken? I'd rather like
> rebasing my code on top of master than building on soon-to-be-obsolete code.

The code on master is working (I always aim at that), but it is not
yet complete. To much Perl code in the individual scripts of X2Go
Server. All intelligence will be moved into the Perl module/package API.

But that should not make to much of a difference for you. Please
rebase against master.

> In what time scale do you expect to be finished with your refactoring?

No time frame. I am doing the refactoring development in my scarce spare time.

>> No configure script, yet!!!
>
>>> ? The INSTALL file in that directory doesn't say something about
>>> "configure", but that's probably because it refers to the enduser that
>>> extracts x2goserver from a tar.gz file and not from the git repository.
>>
>> The enduser hopefully can install X2Go server from one of the available
>> distro archives...
>
> Installing via distro mechanisms requires root priviledges. Userspace
> installation must certainly be done via "configure --prefix=... && make
> && make install".

Yes.

> If ever I come that far than the behaviour for the current (root)
> installation shouldn't be in any way any different.
>
>> If the configure file works for system-wide installations, then yes.
>
> Well, that goes without saying.

Fine.

>> I guess, that you are aware that you have to test both cases (user space
>> X2Go and system-wide X2Go).
>
> What do you mean by "test"? I haven't yet found that 'make check' would
> be available inside the x2goserver directory.

By testing I meant: install it on a machine where you have root
access, so that you understand the functionality of the server more.

Talking about make check... That actually should be your first task:
write a set of check stanzas for the Makefiles so that you can verify
correct functionality for system-wide installation once you have
started taking the Makefiles apart and added configure functionality.

Your contribution will be very valuable to X2Go as it allows to make
the server code ,,portable''.

For your approach: please start on x2goserver first. Install x2goagent
locally as root first and focus on adapting x2goserver. Once that
works with configure, make, make install, only then it makes sense to
start thinking about x2goagent.

Thanks

fon: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Key ID 0x25771B31